Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

FTF Fly Pattern - Crackaig - Bend Back Sand Eel

Thanks Grey Brook. Indeed if I tie them on hooks I bend myself they are not so extreme.

Cheers,

C.

Great tie! The Ramie fibers seem similar to polar fiber, is there any difference?

Yes they cost a lot less! Apparently they are also finer. Never used Polar Fibre so I'm going off what I've been told. A 100g bag is about £2. That is about 10 bags worth of Polar Fibre! It only comes in white though. You could die it. but easier is just to take the hank you want for a wing, trap it against a piece of card with a permanent marker and pull. It takes colour really well. I get mine from www.thefeltbox.co.uk. The Ramie is an Asiatic plant similar to Kapok.

Cheers,

C.

That's a great site for UK tiers. Just looked at the various wools for dubbing and priced much much cheaper than the same stuff in a flyshop. Some is even dyed already. Just what I needed, another source of income reduction lol.

No problem, don't feel guilty at all. It is quite a severe bend but it is how those hooks came. I did put a link in the details for the SbS on FAOL.

Cheers,

A.