Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
agn54

"winter" fishing

While you guys up north were looking at snow and ice I got out last week and it was a brisk morning, down in the 60's before warming up to about 80. The morning fishing was very good with lots of really fat trout on the flats. I caught over a half dozen of these guys in the 3-5 lb range in a little over an hour before the tide got all the way out. Then I had to move about a mile off shore to fish in 2-3 ft of water but out there the fish were much smaller. All in all a good morning. Got the fish on craft fur baitfish flies (my new favorite) and sliders.

post-18514-0-31774600-1386987260_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately the universe has a way of evening things out though. I just got all 4 wisdom pulled so I am all screwed up for a bit nowwacko.png. Of course by the time I get back out again next week a front will move through and the fish get lock jaw. At least I got one good day in

You're right not as nice were we live here in the Northeast.........NNE winds with rain and temps in the upper 40s.......nasty weather......striper weather. We had fish in a good surf that were near 10lbs though most were fish in the 4lb range. Fish were right in front of you, in the trough a feet out but we took some on the end of the cast as well. Lots of fat little footballs full of sand eels, all released to fight another day. Snow the last few days have driven the fish offshore so the fat lady may finally sing her song.

post-18342-0-83766900-1386993363_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-01295900-1386993405_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-57065300-1386993494_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-60524300-1386993717_thumb.jpg

Yep, winter is almost here.... Out in the 'Glades it's still the usual snook, trout and reds - with the possibility of a big tarpon as long as it stays mild (nights now are just beginning to drop into the high sixties -days in the low eighties). My best indicator of good winter fishing, though, are the night triips in Biscayne Bay where we tangle with tarpon in the 20 to 40lb range. On our first trip a week ago we got four bites and put two 20 to 25lb fish in the air. I came off the water that night at about 4Am since the outgoing didn't start until well after 10pm.... All that's needed for a decent night on the water is a falling tide and we're in business. Nights will be a bit slow until the shrimp run starts in a few weeks (not even the shrimpers can tell you exactly when....). Once a few shrimp start to show things will be as good as it gets with small tarpon right at the surface for sight-fishing with 8 or 9wt rods. The night scene will go full bore all the way through April. The only thing that hinders us are day trips since days and nights conflict. Such a problem......

The pics show the fly we use the most, called the Night Fly (what else?), it's just a small white tarpon fly on a 1/0 or 2/0 hook (either an old Mustad 7766 or an Owner Aki). The angler shots aren't from this year -they're from my library.... Last week I was too busy to reach for the camera when we were hooked up....

Tight lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

post-30940-0-73689800-1387025152_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-03059600-1387025281_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-25227000-1387025320_thumb.jpg

Bravo Andy! I'm a fan of the craft fur minnow myself. Congrats on a fine day of pig picking, love catching big trout. If all goes according to plan and the parole board agree's to an early release, I should be able to hit the water mid March early April…

Take care of the holes in your jaw, nothing says holiday cheer like dry socket.

Dave

Nice fish Andy - glad to hear somebody's beating Old Man Winter. Been a bit chilly here.

Hey Dave: good to see you back. I heard you were touring with a troupe of hoochie coochie dancers, but you could have brought your laptop along.

Hey PJ,

I fell in with a bunch of drag queens at the last parade… Ended up in Siberia doing the gulags on ice tour dressed as Lil Bo Peep.

Due to an injury suffered when I fell chasing some wayward sheep I had to have C4, 5, 6 fused a couple of weeks ago. Only four more weeks in my special studded collar and I get to have a some disk work done on L 2 and 3…Seems those fat girls are hard on us little fellas.

I did manage to get out on the water in May before I became the poster boy for scooter chairs, and what fine day dat it was.

IMGP0975_zps53f39120.jpg

I've been fly tying in the nude, amassed quite a collection until the local sheriff came by and told me the neighbors were complaining and that I had to go inside. Have been on a Gartside kick last day or so, will post a picture or two later this week.

Beautiful stripers Betty, they seem to me like the snook's northern cousin. I'd love to get one one of these days

Thanks PJ, unfortunately the wind is getting a bit out of hand now but hopefully it settles down soon. I thought Dave was off filming the new reality show America's Top Speedo Model.

Awesome jack Dave, no wonder you hurt yourself! Don't blame it on your plus size paramours, if you know what you're doing you can usually avoid serious injury.

Man, I love how this thread went down hill in a hurry. It's good to see the saltwater forum getting back to normal

Wow, that's a nice jack! I'll bet the reel was screaming on that one.

Too bad about the back - I was afraid you'd run into some trouble of one kind or another. Tried to PM you, but it kept bouncing back. I figured the warden wasn't letting it through or your message box was full of notes from the boys down at the bus station. Hope you get back out there before too long; I miss the pictures of all those fish dinners of yours.

HOLY SHIT!!! ITS DAVE!!!

Sorry for swearing..but I was friggen worried after that last drag queen parade!! He just disappeared. Hope all is well my friend.

I'm still smiling at the thoughts of the neighbours faces as Dave sits in the all together with tinsel, dubbing and deerhair stubbs sticking to his where-with-alls.

Pervs! One and all. Guess I better get my leather skirts cleaned.

And speaking of leather: when the hell are you gonna get around to returning the bullwhip I lent you? If you haven't gotten those sheep trained by now, it's probably a lost cause. Besides, I'm gonna need that whip for the club's Christmas party; it's my turn to be Nasty Santa this year and I'd hate to disappoint the membership, especially after last year's debacle when the sergeant-at-arms put his black hood on backwards and fell into the shark tank. I'll be delivering the eulogy at his memorial service prior to the festivities, so be sure to get there early.

it's my turn to be Nasty Santa this year and I'd hate to disappoint the membership

You never disappoint…

post-27925-0-00145600-1387733212_thumb.jpg