Fly Tying
870ExpressMag

which thread?

I am very new to tying, about to order some thread on an order from JStockard. I have limited experience with different thread. Currently i have black white and olive in UNI 6/0 and 8/0, thats all i have used. I noticed a lot of people use UTC ultra thread in 70D and 140D. I understand the correlation between the sizes, meaning 6/0 is 136D and is somewhat equivalent to the 140D and likewise with the 8/0 and 70D. But i noticed the UTC is much cheaper per spool, and I was thinking of buying the multicolor packs instead of individual colors. If price is the decider, i would obviously choose the UTC, is there a reason to choose the UNI? i believe from what i've read UTC is more flat than UNI. is there something else im missing on the price difference? both threads are also waxed.

I don't know where you got that 6/0 is 136D, maybe in some brand, maybe UNI ( I never checked theirs). Danville 6/0 for instance is 80, UNI 8/0 is 72D ,UTC 70 is 70. UTC runs flat and wide and has a shine to it but you can twist it to tighten it up when that is desired, you can't particularly untwist UNI very well.. Danville is middle road in 6/0. I like how UTC 70 handles hair in bucktails and streamer tying etc. I probably use Danville more than the other brands in wet and dry flies because it's just how that goes. Black, tan and olive and two different reds are my most used colors. I keep white as well but rarely use it ( some people just use white thread and color it with markers, just sayin). At the moment my only olive thread is UNI ( guess my Danville ran out), so if I'm tying olive it's UNI 8/0 that I'm using right now and this spool is getting low as well..

It boils down to personal preference ! As you try this and that you will get a handle on what you like for what. If that pack of colors in UTC has the colors you want it sounds like it might be a good buy. Hah, they all get the flies tied LOL !

Edit: I got most of my UNI and UTC uses reversed in this post, so corrected it now.

I don't know where you got that 6/0 is 136D, maybe in some brand, maybe UNI ( I never checked theirs).

Right on the UNI label on the spool, says 6/0 136D

That would be great, if all manufs used Denier.

Maybe it is in the newer UNI spools. Mine do not list but 3/0, or 6/0, and W for waxed.

I have had them for quite a while.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with Danville waxed 6/0 Flymaster thread. Get yourself a half dozen spools from JS in:

Adams Gray

Brown

Yellow

Red

Tan

Fl. Orange (for hot spots on nymphs if you tie them)

Danville 6/0 Olive is my workhorse thread, but you said you already have an olive.

read this

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-blues

uni 6/0 is identified as 135 denier in the following chart

http://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

i wouldn't recommend utc thread for a beginner fly tyer. its a bit slippery and will fray rather quickly. i just started using utc 70d and i'm beginning to not like it at all. i think i'll be going back to veevus

i would go with uni 6/0 & 8/0 or danville 6/0 thread to start

or even veevus

The UNI thread polyester 6/0 is 135.

Most of my thread is danville waxed.Good strong thread.I usually look for a deal and load up on it.

If the UTC is cheaper try it and see how you like it.You will figure out which works best for your flies.

Heck i have even used my wife's sewing thread on a few bass flies and it works great.Really come down to your personal preference.

I am googling it and it seems that only some pics show the Denier right above the Aught.

Curiously, most of those spools are made in Spain, not Canada.

my spools of uni just have the 8/0 designation only

not too many on google images show both designation. could be older photos

Price difference:

• UTC is 100yds
  • UNI is 200yds on JStockard, though others may have the 50yd spools
  • Danville is the least expensive at 200yds for not much more than UTC

Hell, it's all cheap. That is until you buy too much of it. I should know,...I have owned way too much thread.

the 136D spools are most likely new ones

all of my uninspools only have 8/0 as said above

if you have those spools of 6/0 and you say you also have 8/0 why not use them to tie flies vs buying new spools? learn to tie with what you have