Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

How do you tie off your parachutes?

Finishing off parachutes  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I actually never heard of or thought about the zap a gap method or whip finishing on the post.

Could save me some anger, and perhaps make a better thorax.

Awesome!

I use a method from Al and Gretchen Beatty where you wrap the thread around the post to secure the hackle and then put a few half hitches around the shank with some head cement.

it is easy and works well, i used to have a problem of tying down barbs while whip finishing but this technique all but eliminates those problems.

here is a link that uses that method

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/f...110506fotw.html

this is one of the few times the thompson whip finisher comes out, it does a good job of pushing back any barbs that may slip out wile I'm holding em back

I finish mine off by tying the hackle off behind the post with 2 or 3 wraps then bring the thread over the eye and use my half hitch tool put 4 or 5 wraps snug it up then hit the under side with head cement. For the life of me I can't get the hang of tying the hackle off in front of the post. :yahoo:

I whip finish on the post. This is one fly where it's all about the order you tie the fly.

1. tie in post.

2. tie in tail

3. dub up to post

4. tie in hackle to post (strip enough hackle stem to extend the hackle stem onto hook shank in front of post)

- tip of feather should be pointing up and you should wrap up to the point you want to start the hackle.

5. your thread is now at the eye of the hook, so dub back to the post.

6. wrap hackle down post and tie off and whip finish to post, this can be done easier with a rotary vise (wrap as usual, then rotate upside down to whip finish.

Using spade hackles you tie a bunch fairly quickly, this can be a five minute tie after the first couple.

Steve

how come one of the options isnt crush all of the hackle fibers down so your left with a piece of crap? :dunno: :baby: actually this thread has givin me the energy to try again, and theyr getting better.

Whip the post,

Once you get the hang of it (6-8 flies) you'll never do it any other way.

It's fast, neat and clean, and holds up well.

Conehead

Hold back the hackle and whip finish at the head for me. There may be a better way, but thats how i got use to doing it so I've always done it that way for years.

Steve

My vote was the first option, I tie the hackle in as normal then tie the stem up the post wind then tie off like a normal hackle.

Really interesting thread this one. For me, I strip the feather base back on both sides before tying in - then the first wrap is just stem to give it support. Then a couple of turns of hackle, trap with the thread against the post, and then finger whip finish under the hackle and around the post.

1. Tie in post (either turkey t, showshoe hare, or two matched coverts from a duck, grouse, partridge, or quail) butt forward. Make about 8 wraps (depending on hook size) up and down post twice to stiffen. If matched feathers use zapagap to further stiffen post.

2. Tie in tail and splay it, trim butts even with post.

3. Biot body.

4. dub thorax to hook eye.

5. strip hackle so first wrap up post has no barbs.

6. tie in hackle at eye.

7. wrap hackle down post counterclockwise.

8. pull barbs back and tie off at hook eye with two wraps.

9. whip finish.

I used to tie in my hackle at the post and then dub the body but got angry if the hackle broke or slipped and dubbing was moretime consuming. This way is more efficient for me and results in a sexy and very durable fly. you can also put a small drop of headcement on the post after it is hackled to further strengthen the fly, but for the most part i find that to be unnecessary if you tie at the breaking strength of the materials.