Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

Good Find?

Saturday went to see a friend of mine who builds customs rods (mostly big offshore stuff) to get some guides for a spinner I have. Standing in the corner was a wad of old rods, very old. He said I could have what ever I wanted on a donation basis to help our dying lagoon.

In the middle was this old Martin 8.5ft, 8wt fly rod. All the guides and wrappings are original and intact and surprisingly the rod came apart w/o much struggle. A little bit of brasso and the reel seat cleaned up nicely. In spite of 20kt winds I had to lawn cast it some. Actually threw a 7wf line fairly well for a guy quite used to fast action rods. Weighs a mere 4.1 oz on the postal scale. Love the way it glows orange when the sunlight shines through it. I gave him $20 for a full set of spinner guides plus tip and the rod.

Any ideas on the age and value of this rod.

post-44758-0-81650800-1488818562_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-13277600-1488818581_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-04685600-1488818604_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-77959700-1488818626_thumb.jpg

I've restored a few of the old Martain and Phillipson glass rods just like that for some guys in the past. Far as age most of those like that one there were most likely early 60's to 70 or there about's. The wrap style/Lakewood seat and Femwick grip were all the rage on glass back then. Far as value they have more sentimental value than actual $ value since most guys that have them restored are having them restored because they were their Grandfathers rod etc etc. So doesn't have a bunch of dollar value but certainly worth what you paid. Usually when you see them on ebay they will go for between $40-$50 so for $20 you got a good deal.

I think the guide set was about 10 so I actually paid only about $10 for the rod. Based on what you said about age Steve puts it at about time I first played with a fly rod my dad bought me when I was about 12. Don't remember too much about it except it had an auto wind reel on it ( Mike Chells fav.) and I think I only caught a couple blue gill with it before putting it away.

Mentioning the auto wind reel sure brings back some nostalgia. My first fly rod was a 1950's silplex glass that was my grandpa's rod I found when I started fly fishing about 1989/90. My first reel on it was the tried and true Phlugar medalist, but then I bought one of the auto wind reels right after that. Looking back now by today's standards that old auto wind reel was like an anchor on the rod. I think them things were close to a pound if they were an oz! lol happy.png Ah the good ol' days.

Sure cant beat the rod for $10 then. Wraps still look decently tight, but if you plan to use it much you can also add a little clear varnish to the wraps just to make sure they stay put.

Sure looks like a pretty rod.

Would look Beeoootiful with a nice, green anodized, Shakespeare or Martin Automatic Reel on there !!!

Sure looks like a pretty rod.

Would look Beeoootiful with a nice, BLUE anodized, Shakespeare or Martin Automatic Reel on there !!!

Fixed that for you Mike.

laugh.png

If only they anodized them that color !!! I've yet to find one. I could be wrong, but the blue ones all look painted, not anodized.

I love blue ... but I am not THAT easy !!!

Well, not always.

Hmmm, that might be next item I look for to complete the outfit. Did they make red auto winds?

Yep Martin and J.C Higgins both made various color automatic fly reels with red being one of them. I think the Higgins one's were the pancake style though which mounted flat on the rod and those always looked weird. Martin I think made the one that mounted normal style to the rod. I think they came in black,red,green,white.

Hmmm, that might be next item I look for to complete the outfit. Did they make red auto winds?

Salty, I have 3 Red auto-winds, must check brands, they been on wall-hangers for about 25 years. I may be stupid, but I am a poor negotiator...

Yes Steve I agree those pancake things do look weird. A scroll through ebay showed a few of those things. May just keep it a standard reel and just a display rod for the most part. Like I need more stuff to collect dust. Think maybe a better term would be dustplay rod.

I like the "pancake style" as much as the standard hanging ones. Red, orange/amber and green anodized reels look really good when clean. Black ones just look black, to me. A good looking blue (automatic) reel is as rare as a unicorn, I think.

Yes Steve I agree those pancake things do look weird. A scroll through ebay showed a few of those things. May just keep it a standard reel and just a display rod for the most part. Like I need more stuff to collect dust. Think maybe a better term would be dustplay rod.

PM sent, Got one red Martin, 6-7 Weight, sending it with Butte Ugly Turnaround unless you would like it sooner! Pay it forward or keep in mind I need a 3 Wgt, WF, in couple of weeks to properly test Steel's art work. Line only, used is fine, just need to load that rod correctly.

May have a 3wt here. Seems like my 3wt rods are happier with 4wf. No hurry for sure with the Butte ugly stuff.

I will get the line along to u shortly.

I was going to borrow a line from my 4wgt, but it is a fast action Loomis that I overlined with a 5 Wgt. I have never owned a 3 so I exercised caution, thinking +2 was probably not a good decision.

I hope you enjoy this. It worked well when I was a kid flickin little poppers for panfish in ponds and sandpits along the North Platte River. Still very sound mechanically. Guess it held up better than me over so many years.

I am glad it is going to one who appreciates it, my kids and son-in-laws are gun nuts. Grandkids like shooting but only fish when visiting with me. They are getting some nice firearms eventually that will need to stay in our family.