Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Al Beatty

The Humpy Encyclopedia is a FREE Book!

Hi Group,

For the last few months, Gretchen & I have been glued to our computer's keyboard writing a book on the dozen ways to tie a Humpy. Actually there are 15 ways listed in the book but we wanted "dozen" on the book's cover so we quit counting at 12. Anyway, the book is on our website at www.btsflyfishing.com at the top right-hand side of the home page. Just click on the book's cover or the provided link to download a PDF copy.

We hope you find some of the information within its pages helpful. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - (Gretchen &) Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

What a wealth of information! I glanced through, and I'm looking forward to spending some time perusing.

Thank you, very much !!

Mike

Just downloaded it and read the first chapter. Very nice! Can't wait for a rainy day to read the rest. I don't have paypal but would gladly make a donation if you have venmo

What fly do fly fishers most prefer on Wednesday?

Since it's Hump day you guessed it.

Thanks Al & Gretchen, just started reading...good stuff.

What a gift to the fly tying community! Thank you, Gretchen and Al, for your generosity. The Humpy is a favorite pattern of mine, and now I'll have (at least) a dozen variations to practice over the coming months. :)

Hi group,

A tip we've found when using closed cell foam for the hump: As outlined in the step-by-step(s), we cut a strip of 2-mm foam equal in width to the gape of a hook one size smaller than fly size we are tying. When that size gets to be size #18 and smaller we turn the foam on its side and cut the 2-mm strip really narrow. What we would really have loved to find is a source for 1-mm closed cell foam in colors similar to those available at Walmart. Do any of you have such a source? We'd appreciate that information if that product is available.Thanks in advance for any ideas. Take care & ...

Thank you for doing this. Very Kind of you.

I still have a photocopy of instructions published by Fly Fisherman Magazine many years ago on Kathy Buchner's instructions. That has to be over 20 years ago. The Humpy is one of those difficult but very effective patterns.

1mm foam

https://www.etsy.com/listing/224785508/5pcs-of-1-mm-12x18-eva-foam-sheets-in?ref=landingpage_similar_listing_top-1

https://www.amazon.com/Riverruns-Thickness-Streamers-Baitfish-Steelhead/dp/B07NW98NBW

https://www.bearsden.com/product14003.html

Hi flytire,

I just ordered some of the 1-mm sheets on Amazon to supplement our supply of 2-mm pieces we got at Walmart. Thanks for the information. Take care & ...