Fly Tying

A friend of mine that is new to fly fishing and fly tying was made to feel like shit because she posted this great cause on here.

A perfect example why people shy away from this sport

She figured since this is a fly tying web site it would be received well but it was brought to my attention it wasn't

So here is the proof it is real. We were able to raise $1300.00 to buy fly tying kits to give away to kids

This is the third year of the project and maybe we will have a fourth year

We have help tying groups in school across Maine get started and TU youth groups, we just give kits away to kids that are interested

The pictures are of all the donations we received from people who actually believed in it.

Last years winners and what we purchased last year

post-701-0-81620500-1490567001_thumb.jpg

post-701-0-81180100-1490567020_thumb.jpg

post-701-0-28888000-1490568352_thumb.jpg

post-701-0-81264400-1490568376_thumb.png

Congratulations. Maybe you need to refine your approach. I also run a fishing fund raiser that benefits children. One thing I would never do is go on an internet site of potential sponsors and supporters and cast stones while beating my chest. Good luck in the future.

Congratulations. Maybe you need to refine your approach. I also run a fishing fund raiser that benefits children. One thing I would never do is go on an internet site of potential sponsors and supporters and cast stones while beating my chest. Good luck in the future.

"

Kevin, I sympathize with you and your friend, however, this is NOT why people shy away from this sport.

This was THE first post ...

"It's that time of year again. Flies for Kids is having our annual raffle to help raise money to purchase tying kits for kids. We're asking for your help to make this event a huge success and purchase more kits than ever before. We are looking for flies, flies and more flies! Any and all you want to donate would be appreciated. Click on the link below to see donation instructions!!"

NO personal introduction. When asked to introduce themselves, there was no answer.

I make no apologies for our responses and actions, as many such "requests" are indeed spam.

Next year, be sure to introduce yourselves better, and in advance, and you will surely get a MUCH better response.

I agree 100% with Mike, if you guys established yourselves here before hand or were part of the community or she was, I'm sure you would have seen a different result. As it was, one morning she ( we didn't even know it was a she incidentally, never mind who) shows up looking for money and the $1300 you raised this way, with that approach, might have looked more like $2000 . you guys need a bit more finesse in your approach to people. It would be like you are at the stream fishing and someone walks up behind you unexpectedly and without any fishing gear, doesn't look like a fisherman, you don't know them, never saw them around town before and wants a half dozen of your flies. What would you do, hand over your fly box and tell them take what ever they want ? I doubt it.

Not beating my drum only proving that this was no spam and that she was treated like shit.

This person is new to it and yes the way people get treated keeps them from getting into this sport among other reasons

I have been doing this long before this site was in existence and if this was posted on my site I would of clicked the link and seen what a great idea it is and not only would I embrace it I would pin it and if someone responded to them the way she was treated I would of deleted their response

At the end of the day this is only fishing and fly tying we are not saving the world, she was only asking for flies and if you actually took the time to follow link you would of seen it was legit

So maybe give people the benefit of the doubt instead of treating them like shit and maybe the world world be a better place

Over the past two years it had been post on Drakes home page and mid current

If people took the time to actually click the link you would of seen what it was

I'm done with this I have real world problems to deal with

Not beating my drum only proving that this was no spam and that she was treated like shit.

This person is new to it and yes the way people get treated keeps them from getting into this sport among other reasons

I have been doing this long before this site was in existence and if this was posted on my site I would of clicked the link and seen what a great idea it is and not only would I embrace it I would pin it and if someone responded to them the way she was treated I would of deleted their response

At the end of the day this is only fishing and fly tying we are not saving the world, she was only asking for flies and if you actually took the time to follow link you would of seen it was legit

So maybe give people the benefit of the doubt instead of treating them like shit and maybe the world world be a better place

Over the past two years it had been post on Drakes home page and mid current

If people took the time to actually click the link you would of seen what it was

I'm done with this I have real world problems to deal with

You're being silly and cutting off your bridge to the next time, how foolish is that ? You guys need a real PR person to handle this stuff.

I like that line ... "If people took the time to actually click the link you would of seen what it was."

If all my E-mails had that line, why, I'd probably click right into those $900.00 a minute phone calls and send my checking account info to that prince in Nigeria ... maybe even scan through all the dating sites I get Junk Mail from (even though I am happily married) How much am I missing, just because I don't " ... actually click on the link ..." ???

Perhaps, if the original poster had identified themself ... given us a little more info, then we might would've been more inclined to help out. The fault here does NOT lie with the members of this site. From what I've heard of "Drake's" ... they could use a little more discretion in who gets through on that site, too.

But, if they'd been a contributor on this site for the past two years, it's possible you'd have collected far more than you could've imagined.

1. act rude

2. Be surprised and offended when others react to your rudeness

3. Attack and blame others for your hurt feelings

4. Make others responsible for your bad behavior

5. Pout

check

check

check....

Listen Kevin, participate in the forum over the next year and try again. You might be surprised what happens. You do understand that the forum has rules and new members can't even use the for sale part of the forum or be involved in swaps initially ? Once they make a few posts and get established that's different. Never mind unknown solicitors asking for donations on their first post in a privately run site... We are only a little careful here, people have been burned before so we just keep an eye out for something odd.. I was the first poster when your lady friend posted the kids deal and my reply was a simple ? I did that so people could explain, maybe a member knew your group or would explain things better. that didn't happen and in due time the thread got locked , that's pretty much protocol here.

We aren't the one's missing the point. This is a great site, with some of the best people I've ever "met" online.

There are rules that make a site like this as good as it is. Someone on your end breached those rules, and got a patented response to such offenses.

Live and learn. Become an active member. Tell her we welcome everyone who properly introduces themselves. By this time next year, the response to donations will be extraordinary. Just look at the Australian Casting For Recovery deal going on in "Swaps and Contests" forum.

1. act rude

2. Be surprised and offended when others react to your rudeness

3. Attack and blame others for your hurt feelings

4. Make others responsible for your bad behavior

5. Pout

check

check

check....

Shoe, you missed two checks.

#yeah.I.check.shit.out.especially.posts.with.hallmarks.of.Phishing.Scams.I.Do.Not.Apologize.I.have.Steel's.Back.100%