Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The Adams Dry Fly

dry fly fly tying Adams Adams dry fly catskill hackle trout fly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 11:02 AM

The Adams dry fly is one of the most popular dry flies ever created for good reason.  It mimics a mayfly perfectly and has proven itself throughout many years of fishing.  It is widely effective on many rivers and creeks, and will continue to be for many years to come, if not forever!  

One of the catskill style flies, this will float high when heavily hackled, has a nice profile, and can be tied in a wide range of sizes.  I regularly tie 16-20 with these, but I know of some people tying all the way down to a size 26 and up to a size 10.  If you get a Cree hackle, then you can use just one feather rather than two.  However cree tends to be much more expensive, so I tie with the double feather method to achieve the brown and grizzly look. 

As always I am listing the materials I used on this fly.  

Hook I used:  Firehole sticks #419 in size 16
Thread: Brown Veevus 16/0 
Tail: Grizzly and Brown Rooster Neck 
Wings: Grizzly Hen neck 
Body: Adams Gray, UV2 Fine and Dry dubbing 
Hackle: Brown and Grizzly Rooster Neck
Head cement:  Hard as Hull 

Fly fishing and fly tying videos
www.McFlyAngler.com

#2 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

I really like that hen was used for the wing. That is what I do. I think it creates a nicer wing profile.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#3 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:32 PM

+1

Attached File  Adams_20180327_1353_03.JPG   79.83KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Adams tied by chugbug27.JPG   50.58KB   0 downloads

cb27

#4 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 02:13 PM

It also lets you save a few bucks. Hen capes and rooster saddles are less expensive then rooster capes.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#5 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

Yeah r straight, I agree. I think hen neck saves a few bucks for sure! Also, the more rounded look to the tips make a better wing I think.

www.McFlyAngler.com

#6 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 08:05 PM

How bout muskrat for the body ?

#7 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 11:07 PM

It also lets you save a few bucks. Hen capes and rooster saddles are less expensive then rooster capes.

They are cheaper, and they definitely make a better profile on an Adams than a rooster feather, but the cost is somewhat of a red herring.  I have a little box that whenever I use a grizzly hackle for anything, I just save the tip for future wings. (I do the same with dark dun hackles, in a different box.) They still come in handy for smaller flies, and certain patterns that aren't mayfly imitations (like a mosquito).

Bob

#8 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 07:50 AM

Muskrat could be used in a pinch. The Adams was originally tied with wool yarn.

#9 McFlyLures

McFlyLures

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 08:59 AM

They are cheaper, and they definitely make a better profile on an Adams than a rooster feather, but the cost is somewhat of a red herring.  I have a little box that whenever I use a grizzly hackle for anything, I just save the tip for future wings. (I do the same with dark dun hackles, in a different box.) They still come in handy for smaller flies, and certain patterns that aren't mayfly imitations (like a mosquito).

This is true, if you have a lot of tips, this could be a good way of getting wing tips for catskill flies.

www.McFlyAngler.com

#10 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:33 AM

Muskrat could be used in a pinch. The Adams was originally tied with wool yarn.

Rstaight I did not know this ! Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dry fly, fly tying, Adams, Adams dry fly, catskill, hackle, trout fly