Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
steelie

Mole Crab/Sand Flea

Nice tie Steelie. From your last couple of posts , I gather your getting ready for a trip to Fla ?

Fred

Good Day,

Thanks Fred!

I wish I could say I am getting ready to fish in Florida... unfortunately I may never be able to cast the big rods again. I was injured in a vehicle/pedestrian accident (their fault) a few years ago and the shoulders and upper back are messed up, possibly for life. I did try a little over a year ago, but the mechanics were way off and I could not get my arm(s) back far enough to load the rod... but at least I can still tie! (With lots of breaks...)

Actually, I am prepping for one or two things with these last two posts/flies you are refering to. One is tying flies for guides and or very experienced fly flingers to test for me. If they work then I might consider tying them for orders. That way I can honestly say/sell flies that have been tested and proven to work.

With this one, the mole crab/sand flea, prospects are looking good so far. (The baby mullet has yet to be tested. Thinking tarpon and snook primarily. But even sharks or reds might be a possibility... you never know in salt.) Both as an actively fished fly right along the shore line (within a few feet of where the waves hit the beach, the usual beach break suspects like pompano, jacks, occasional ladyfish and yes, snook) or drag it behind you with a twitch every few steps as you walk the beach to your favorite snook zone... or just to enjoy a stroll and the occasional fish fight! You will also notice the "egg orange" chenille at the hook eye to improve fishy interest. For those of you in the know, I need not explain... haha. Why - would you like to be a tester too? :D I can PM you the requirements... :thumbup:

Steelie

Good Day,

Thanks Fred!

I wish I could say I am getting ready to fish in Florida... unfortunately I may never be able to cast the big rods again. I was injured in a vehicle/pedestrian accident (their fault) a few years ago and the shoulders and upper back are messed up, possibly for life. I did try a little over a year ago, but the mechanics were way off and I could not get my arm(s) back far enough to load the rod... but at least I can still tie! (With lots of breaks...)

Actually, I am prepping for one or two things with these last two posts/flies you are refering to. One is tying flies for guides and or very experienced fly flingers to test for me. If they work then I might consider tying them for orders. That way I can honestly say/sell flies that have been tested and proven to work.

With this one, the mole crab/sand flea, prospects are looking good so far. (The baby mullet has yet to be tested. Thinking tarpon and snook primarily. But even sharks or reds might be a possibility... you never know in salt.) Both as an actively fished fly right along the shore line (within a few feet of where the waves hit the beach, the usual beach break suspects like pompano, jacks, occasional ladyfish and yes, snook) or drag it behind you with a twitch every few steps as you walk the beach to your favorite snook zone... or just to enjoy a stroll and the occasional fish fight! You will also notice the "egg orange" chenille at the hook eye to improve fishy interest. For those of you in the know, I need not explain... haha. Why - would you like to be a tester too? :D I can PM you the requirements... :thumbup:

Steelie

I doubt I fish enough to qualify , with work ,family ,tying events and basicly life in general in the way. I get to fish the weekends only, and when you figure in half my trips will be in fresh water it doesn't leave alot of oppurtunity. Besides my fishing partner wont let us breakout our fly gear until we've limited . He has six kids to feed. But what I could do , if you have a website to show and order your flies is get the word out for you down here. My home lake is Calcasieu Lake . It is world wide famous for its inland saltwater fishing and we have over 100 licensed fishing boat captains and almost all of them offer fly fishing trips. We have a FFF conclave down here in May. If you want I would be happy to hand out flyers for you . Or if you felt like traveling I could get you an invitation to tie. The featured tyers this year are Bob Popovic, Stu Apt and Nick Curcione . Let me know . I would be happy to help which ever way you choose.

Fred

Sweet tie steelie!!!!!

that looks like it would catch some NICE redfish keep up the great ties.....

sorry to hear about the arm..... could u possible fish smaller brook trout streams with smaller rods that cast easier and you rarly ever have to cast.... mostly bow&arrow casting