Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishaholic69

SHWAPF

I read on fly anglers onlines beginner section about a fly that can be used as a all kinds of differen't bugs and can be fished like a streamer ,dry, wet, or nymph. its called a shwapf. well I seen one that looked like a top water beetle or water boatman. made me one on a size 12 dry. but used krystal flash for the wing and some flashback material under that on top of the body for irridecence. also used peacock herl for the body! heres the pics! came out decent!! heres the link i got it from! the shwapf!post-12314-1195851504_thumb.jpgpost-12314-1195851598_thumb.jpg

You shwapf came out really neat. That was a good series of articles by Al Campbell. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I got a lot of very useful info from his series. I have found that fly to be a good pattern for me in warmwater, and a nice easy tie.

ya I am gonna make alot of variations. what else do you guys think will work for a collar? its not like a regular wet fly. with this you tie in hackle as a tail then basically grab it and pull over the back of the fly like a wingcase and tie in at the head. then you flare it back to make the swept hackle. wonder what materials you could use? he just shows the krystal flash and squirrell tail and antron.

Almost any hair (bear, badger, deer, etc) you have would work. Pheasant tail or rumph feathers will work fine. You can also use wool, or synthetic yarns. The yarn for the hackle would need to be brushed out into the legs after pulling over.

Love to dig up old threads. I tied a few SHWAPFs last night. I talked with Al Campbell a lot when I was stationed near Rapid City, SD in the 90's and remember him preaching about the fly in orange. I am going up there this July so I was stocking up on a few regionals and other flies that should fit into the hatch charts. I never liked the look of the cut squirrel tail so my goal was to tie them so that the natural ends of the hair were the correct length when tied back over the body. I did a few orange ones but like the idea of a peacock body, pheasant tail body, and maybe some ice dub.