Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Panama Red

An Amazing Thing Happened Today!

I went fishing, with a boat, water and everything! There was even a strange man standing on the poling platform with arms outstretched making a proclamation for all to hear, the crowd at the ramp went insane!!!.

It was more than a bit windy and not exactly what I call skiff friendly, however, I had to go. I went to a little out of the way spot that gets almost zero pressure, even when the wind howls your are almost guaranteed to be alone.

IMGP1315_zps4ce1b206.jpg

IMGP1314_zps8a44b877.jpg

First fish on a new rod & reel, a fine little mangrove snapper, my first ever on fly.

IMGP1302_zpse3050f0e.jpg

Next stop there were a number of small trout like fish with a need to meet the fat man at the end of the rod.

IMGP1311_zps40f79dc4.jpg

A bit further up the way a handsome golden redfish came out to see what all the yelling of "can you dig it" was all about.

IMGP1305_zps60ed24c0.jpg

IMGP1306_zps1457adc7.jpg

IMGP1307_zpsb6e61c7e.jpg

The flies….didn't take a picture of the craft fur shrimp the trout were eating.

IMGP1310_zps1e70d5b2.jpg

IMGP1308_zps63324ff0.jpg

Not an extraordinary day of fishing under normal circumstances, but after waiting since last May or June just to be able to go fishing…. It was epic to say the least.

Id say new rod + reel christened + first time that species taking your fly. Awesome days fishing. Normally it takes me upto 6months to break a new rod or reel in. Its so bad I won't match a rod to a reel unless one of thems seen a fish.

Awesome to hear Dave! Glad to hear you are getting up and around. I see you are just as windy as we are. I got out yesterday and got blown all over. Got a few nice trout and then got into the big jacks. Unfortunately I couldn't fly fish for them since the wind was howling then and I was drifting fast enough to pull a water skier.

Thanks fellas, a great day for sure. The wind is crazy stupid, I wanted to fish the gulf side of crooked island sound for pompano and look for cobia and jacks…Not on a bet! It's supposed to stay windy through Thursday, looks like honey do house cleaning for me.

Now for a hot pad and some Advil….

Dave, is your water dark? Ours is like a lake, really dark, dirty and tannic with little salt. All the rain has really flushed out of the rivers and creeks, you can't see shit. It does make the fish really nice a dark though. The reds are really red and the trout have a lot of orange

Great to hear you've finally made it out there, and nailed a bunch of fish to boot. Sure didn't look like much of a skiff day from the pix, but leave it to a smart fellow like yourself to find some lee. Blowing like hell here too - it'll probably lay down about the time the flies and nippers hatch.

Dave, is your water dark? Ours is like a lake, really dark, dirty and tannic with little salt. All the rain has really flushed out of the rivers and creeks, you can't see shit. It does make the fish really nice a dark though. The reds are really red and the trout have a lot of orange

Very dirty, I was really disappointed at the tannin color. The coming rain is not going to help either, hoping it's cleaner along the beaches.

Great to hear you've finally made it out there, and nailed a bunch of fish to boot. Sure didn't look like much of a skiff day from the pix, but leave it to a smart fellow like yourself to find some lee. Blowing like hell here too - it'll probably lay down about the time the flies and nippers hatch.

Thanks PJ, it's a salt pond surrounded by trees, not the best place in the heat of summer the no see-ums gather in mass there. I caught the spring break nippers today, a small but dedicated crew.

Is that you, Panama? Inciting all the street gang thugs to gang up on the Warriors?

Seeing the whoop ass you put on some fish, it's not overly inaccurate. It's always good to get a variety, even if it's not large numbers or sizes.

I hope the recovery time is short and you'll be putting more pictures up soon.

Man, Now that is a long lay off. I feel bad complaining about not fishing for a few months. Glad you got out on the brine. That had to feel good. I planned on getting out today but wimped out, the wind was whipping here too. I ended up spending my day off doing yardwork. I should have toughed it out but I cant stand the wind.

Is that you, Panama? Inciting all the street gang thugs to gang up on the Warriors?

Seeing the whoop ass you put on some fish, it's not overly inaccurate. It's always good to get a variety, even if it's not large numbers or sizes.

I hope the recovery time is short and you'll be putting more pictures up soon.

I'm not saying…

After couch fishing for so long it was killer to get out and wet a line! Hoping to get out this weekend after the weather passes through, thanks.

Man, Now that is a long lay off. I feel bad complaining about not fishing for a few months. Glad you got out on the brine. That had to feel good. I planned on getting out today but wimped out, the wind was whipping here too. I ended up spending my day off doing yardwork. I should have toughed it out but I cant stand the wind.

I keep telling the wife that the doctor said no physically demanding work…Launching the boat and fishing isn't work, it's recreation. Right?

Are y'all going to get some of the cold weather from this front?

This is probably my favorite scene from the Warriors. One of the greatest one-liners of all time

Great to hear Dave! Congratulations! Good report too, a lot more productive than I have been so far this spring. Super happy for you. I am in Mobile right now, and I hope this rain does make to to us the way it is here. Like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

This is probably my favorite scene from the Warriors. One of the greatest one-liners of all time

Gota love the furies they get the award for most bad ass. A popsicle. Really?

Great to hear Dave! Congratulations! Good report too, a lot more productive than I have been so far this spring. Super happy for you. I am in Mobile right now, and I hope this rain does make to to us the way it is here. Like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

Man we don't need any more rain, the water is dirty enough as it is. Give me a holler when you get back, we'll do it up.

Glad to hear that you're back in action. As far as the weather goes, it's been honking down here as well. Thank heavens that big tarpon like small rivers where it could be blowing 30 and you wouldn't feel it (of course the ride there and back isn't much fun at all...). Every time I see one of those tv shows where the water is calm and the lighting is perfect I wonder how many days they had to wait for that one moment.

Every time I see one of those tv shows where the water is calm and the lighting is perfect I wonder how many days they had to wait for that one moment.

I've often wondered the same thing. It's been my experience that ideal conditions are the exception, rather than the rule. Considering how much of that TV stuff has to be planned well in advance, I don't know how they do it. Keeping a film crew hanging around isn't cheap.