Fly Tying
petelangevin

what bobbin do you use?

type of bobbin  

508 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just curious what bobbins are being used on a regular basis.. please feel free to vote for more than one.. and if i left any off the list tell the brand.. i am using 4 norvise autobobbins, a renzetti, a matarelli, 2 rite (ceramic and magnum). a s&m , and i have several knockoffs..

I use Stonfo and Tiemcos. I would say my favorite is the Tiemco Heavy duty (black ceramic). I have some Dr. Slick ceramics but I don't use them anymore. After using the Tiemcos, the Dr. Slicks are too light and feel cheap to me. The Stonfos are nice and use them for 6/0 and 3/0 monocord. I use the Tiemcos for 8/0 and smaller threads.

I have more than a dozen of the standard and magnum Griffin bobbins. They don't cost as much as some of the others that have a ceramic insert, and having a bunch saves some the hassle of changing threads.

been using the rite mag bobbin for 2 weeks and i really like it i won't go back to my other one unless im using two kinds of thread and need to bobbins its a great bobbin with some cool features but the manufacturing of it was not what i hoped it would be for the price. it had to big burrs on the plastic molded hubs that if your paying that much for a bobbin is uncalled for.

but all that aside it works great and feels great and like the ability to adjust the tension with the hub then having to bend and re-bend the leg of my old bobbin it was a huge guessing game.

I have two rite bobbins, and a few I have no idea who they're made from. I like the rites, cause Im able to adjust the tension as I need it without having to always have to flex the bobbin.

just curious what bobbins are being used on a regular basis.. please feel free to vote for more than one.. and if i left any off the list tell the brand.. i am using 4 norvise autobobbins, a renzetti, a matarelli, 2 rite (ceramic and magnum). a s&m , and i have several knockoffs..

just switched to the shorty rite bobbin and love it. tied for 4 years with the piece of crap bobbin that came with my no name kit vise.

The old one just wouldn't adjust well enough by bending the arms and I broke thread all the time cause the tension was so unpredictable. Can't believe how nice the rite bobbin is and how long I suffered with the old one!

Heard good stuff about the tiemco bobbins too, but the price was the same and wanted to try the adjustable one. I think I will try to make a bobbin sometime soon, cause it can't be that hard. It would be fun to have an original design.

I use the rite bobbins. However, I never use the tension feature - I adjust thread tension in the go with my palm. Just enough tension from the bobbin to keep the spool from unwinding while it hangs there. I just really like the way they sit in my hand.

I am still suprised to see so many have voted for Rite. I know there unique in that you can adjust the tension but 20 bucks just seems like a lot for a bobbin.

I just started using the new Rite bobbin, with the half hitch extra, it's a great handy little bobbin. My very 1st Rite bobbin.. Hook & Hackle currently has them on sale for $23.99 couldn't pass that up.

Mike

I use a renzetti midge tip, i think mainly as they had them at the local shop and have acquired 2 now, also have a no-name crap one that came in a kit. Can't complain with the renzetti - feels nice in my hand.

I have a Matarelli that I use most of the time, and a Griffin ceramic I use with Pearsall's silk thread.

I have several Griffin bobbins in different sizes. The first bobbin I owned was a Chase bobbin, and I have a couple of old Herters.