Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

6'6" 2wt 4pc #4

One of the worst things about being at work ... my company's network doesn't allow many pictures to display. sad.png

But, it just gives me one more reason (I'm up to about 638) to look forward to being home.

No hurry Mike...it's just a blue blank with blue wraps and metallic blue trim, anodized blue guides and some blue cork accents. Topped off with a blue rod sock and custom blue tube.

... a blue blank with blue wraps and metallic blue trim, anodized blue guides and some blue cork accents. Topped off with a blue rod sock and custom blue tube.

Oh ... I was SOOOO Looking forward to this perfect rod ... and lo and behold, it's not this !!!

It's a nice rod ... but ...

It's a reverse half wells. Just looks different/bigger because these 2wt blanks are true 2wts and only have a butt dia. of about .280'ish. Lay an 8" brookie next to the rod and make people think it's a 13"er lol

ok, without the halfwells that could easily be a torpedo grip..i have built too many 4wt and under with thinner grips, thinking it was finesse but finally learned that a fatter grip up front gives better control of the rod and way better accuracy..grips are interesting and more important than we think..thanks.

Yep some smaller wt rods that you buy IMO have just way to thin of a grip. Some of the companies think that people want a tiny little grip on a small wt rod but they are not realizing just because a rod wt is smaller that doesn't change the size of the anglers hand. I remember some years ago I built myself a 7ft 2wt CTS rod and did a small/thin grip on it thinking it would be better. I hated that grip and ended up redoing it the 2nd year I fished it.

when i first saw the grips on your rods, my first thought was that he,s been there and done that meaning that you tried the skinny and didn,t like it one bit..i only wished i learned sooner..good points.

"just because a rod wt is smaller that doesn't change the size of the anglers hand."

Very large dose of true, goes for length of grip as well as diameter, imo. a short rod doesn't have to fit a child's hand unless it is a child's rod.

I never thought of the small short grips making the fish look bigger, but that is the best argument I've seen for small grips.

I never thought of the small short grips making the fish look bigger, but that is the best argument I've seen for small grips.

One of these days when I get time I'm gonna build a scale rod using just the 28" tip section from a 4pc. That way I can lay it next to a 10" brookie post it online and watch people lose their minds lol