Fly Tying
FattyMatt

lead wire help

Guys, I don't have a fly tying shop near by me and I have an emergency, I am going to the Bahamas in two days and I need a bunch of lead wire for some flies. Are there any local stores like Lowe'S, craft store or anywhere else where I can find a source of lead wire?

Im making heavy bonefish jigs for a spinning rod on hooks as small as 8 so its gotta be lead.

Thanks!

Lead wire is used in scale modeling ... it looks like hydraulic line or electric wire conduit.

If you have any kind of hobby shop, they might have it ... especially if they cater to model builders.

If you have dumbbell or beadchain use them. Don't need a lot of weight for them. Fish for bonefish in shallow water. If you need extra weight add epoxy to the beadchain.

Ive never seen heavy and bonefish in the same sentence. They are skittish fish and a loud plop is going to scatter them. The best bonefish jigs are skimmers about 1/8 oz.

If its for a spinning rod why not just buy naked jigs at any tackle shop and tie them up?

Thank you Mike. I wish everyone could just answer the question posed.

I'm well aware of the limitations with weight and bones. With that said, I've caught bonefish on 3/8 oz jigs on the edge of flats in deeper water and there is a well-established market for these "flats jigs."

I have people fishing with spin rods, so I have no choice, I'm tying heavier bonefish jigs.

Unless someone knows of a way to cast unweighted bugs with a spin rod

Ive never seen heavy and bonefish in the same sentence. They are skittish fish and a loud plop is going to scatter them. The best bonefish jigs are skimmers about 1/8 oz.

If its for a spinning rod why not just buy naked jigs at any tackle shop and tie them up?

Are you really asking people on a fly tying forum why they don't just buy it at a store? Lol.

The short answer is I can make custom sizes and weights to meet my needs in any hook size / style I want. Why would I pay a premium for someone else to do that for me?

if you are that much of a bind for lead wire go to your local big box hardware store and get some solid solder

solder_wire2.png

or fuse wire

5249397.jpg

60/40 solid core solder, though 60 tin, 40 lead it should work for you. Probably in thinner sizes a hobby store would have that for soldering model rail road track and motor wires etc. Or electronics stores as mentioned already as sources. You probably don't want rosin core as the rosin might weep out.

Don't ask questions for spinning gear on a flyfishing forum then or improve your skills enough to chase them with a fly rod if you don't like the responses.

Thank you Mike. I wish everyone could just answer the question posed.

Excuse me for offering a suggestion, sometimes people dont actually think of everything like you clearly have, some of us speak from experience to hopefully help others. Wont make that mistake twice!

Im sorry I didnt think wrapping 3/8 oz of lead wire around a hook wasn't a good idea when you could just go to walmart and buy jig heads! But since you have it figured out would love to see pictures of all the bones you catch

Are you really asking people on a fly tying forum why they don't just buy it at a store? Lol.

The short answer is I can make custom sizes and weights to meet my needs in any hook size / style I want. Why would I pay a premium for someone else to do that for me?

are you really asking people on a fly tying forum how to make a lure? Dont have to be a troll

Don't ask questions for spinning gear on a flyfishing forum then or improve your skills enough to chase them with a fly rod if you don't like the responses.

It's not for me,I think I said that too

Here's why I suggested a "jig" but again you mush have already thought of this unless you plan on wrapping 3/4 of a spool of wire on a hook what do you think your going to accomplish?

post-56603-0-34698600-1457909890_thumb.jpg