Fly Tying
dbracertaylor85

Spun Deer Hair

Deer hair can be tough on scissors. Scissors aren't the best thing to use anyway. They don't trim as nice as a double edged razor blade does. Just don't knick yourself with the blade. I sliced a flap of skin on the side of my thumb once. NOT FUN.

Well, I have to use the scissors to cut the hair off of the hide anyway. This just represents a couple of extra cuts. I've had the same pair of scissors for 5 years and I haven't noticed any impact on their ability to get the job done. I haven't had success trying to use the razor blade method, it's harder for me to get a uniform cut this way.

I use a double edge razor for 99% of my deerhair work, it gives a smoother cut. And it easier to use than scissors. By holding the blade at the right angle, you a can practly shave the hair into shape. I generaly use a corner of the blade to get the rough shape of the bug, then shave it to the final shape, by making small,fine, cuts. Yopu can always take more off, but you cant but it back on.

If your worried about cuting your fingers, there are a few things you can do, snap the blade in half or use a cardboard sheath for the edge your not cutting with.

Be careful,and try not to color the hair with your blood blink.gif

Buy more when they get that dull. And for safety I would cut them in half. This is better than covering a side. I once covered one half with Duct tape and when I took it off the blade was duller than if I used it.

They work but I don't think they are as sharp. They will do a good job if you pack the hair really well but it won't do so well if you make a mistake and don't get it tight.

Yeah, hes right about single edged razor not being quite as sharp as a double edge.. I guess because a single is used for box cutting and industrial use and a double for shaving a face. But I never really had a problem with them cutting. Try each and see which your more comfortable with. Cutting a double in half is an idea though.