Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Few more tubes

13 replies to this topic

#1 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

10mm brass tubes.
IMG_20180204_170934.jpg IMG_20180204_170724.jpg IMG_20180204_170758.jpg IMG_20180204_170557.jpg
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#2 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

Piker20, I'm tying a Grey Ghost on a brass tube right now and I think I'm going to like them. I have aluminum tubes as well. Metal tubes may negate me having to put a bead up front.

That last fly in the four fly series you posted above is interesting. Well they are all interesting but that one caught my eye.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

I like aluminium tubes as they don't sink too fast and swim well on a sink tip.

The last fly is a Zelda. Basically a stripped down Frances and seems to do well on low water either upstream nymph style or down and across with long strips after sinking.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

#4 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:04 AM

I like aluminium tubes as they don't sink too fast and swim well on a sink tip.

The last fly is a Zelda. Basically a stripped down Frances and seems to do well on low water either upstream nymph style or down and across with long strips after sinking.

Well Zelda is interesting !

I haven't yet tied really short bodied tube flies or wet flies on tubes, mostly conventional streamers on plastic tubes. I probably have enough plastic tubes to hold me for years but think I'm going to be liking the metal ones . Plastic tends to want to float. Last year I had a salmon slapping at my Gray Ghost not far off the back of the anchored canoe. I was having a hard time keeping the fly under the surface film on the swing. So I stripped it in and put a bead ahead of the fly which was enough to hold it under on the swing maybe a foot or so. Second cast I had that salmon on. I didn't want to resort to tying these with beads or cones so I think metal tubes will be great.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#5 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:09 PM

Yep, metal tubes have lots of benefits. You can even tie just a wing at the heads and allow the copper or alu to be the body.

I like to fish most of my tubes with no soft silicone at the back and just a free swinging hook. Tangles far less with the wing and can make the hook sit closer to the middle of the fly which is often where salmon hit.

#6 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:28 PM

Very nice Piker.  I'll have to get the tube tying stuff out of the closet. Did you ever try boar bristle brushes for a hair supply source? I'm going to cut one up and steam set a curve and try it.

#7 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

Got a nice piece of boar's fur from Dette Trout in NY a little while back fwiw
cb27

#8 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Hi chugbug the lads across the pond seem like the hair from the last part over the fence. Long, stiff, curved. My nephew from Alabama sent some, I was thinking about the cheap Chinese boar paint brushes as a source. steam bent over a form like a golden pheasant crest.

#9 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 09:52 PM

Maybe I'm off on it, cp, but the Dette boar piece does have nice long curved hairs with great scraggly ends, I'll post a pic when I get a chance

Here's a pic of one hair

WIN_20180205_19_30_00_Pro.jpg

and one of the bunch

WIN_20180205_19_30_55_Pro.jpg

cb27

#10 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

Yep that looks good to me! 

#11 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Boar will take a nice curve simply ran over your nail or back of scissors. I've never bothered steaming to set but it'll probably work.
Yep, paintbrushes are a good source of feelers. Especially the broad wallpaper brushes. have funny looks if I spend too long in the make-up aisle looking at brushes!!

#12 cphubert

cphubert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

Funny Piker you should see the looks I get looking at nail polish colors and checking them with a UV light.

#13 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,056 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:53 PM

Funny Piker you should see the looks I get looking at nail polish colors and checking them with a UV light.

I was quizzing the women at the hair salon about the uv nail gels and bulk prices etc. Don't think she bought my story it was for flies. Don't go there for haircuts anymore.

#14 ccahoon2

ccahoon2

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:36 PM

I use the uv set nail polish all the time. My girlfriend give me a couple of the colours she no longer uses much any more and I prefer it to my normal head cement. Plus it comes with it's own brush.

Reply to this topic