Fly Tying
Toirtis

Vise Pics, please!

This topic was inspired by someone on a local fly fishing forum posting a topic looking for an A.K. Best vise...so I googled it, and found nothing....my curiosity is piqued.

I am sure we are all familiar with the most common vises (dynaking, renzetti, nor-vise, etc), but I would love to see some photos of some of the more interesting, rare, unique, and unusual vises out there, current, vintage, or antique.

post-36289-0-29998300-1323367194_thumb.jpg

This is a veniard vice I inherited,

I don't know how old it is but I do

know its awkward to use.

In the mid 70's my brother and I designed a vise that we soon found was infringing on someone's patent. The friend that built the vise re-designed it and about 1980 gave us this one. It will hold hooks from 18 to 4/0, covers the hook point with the jaws, is fully rotating with 8 click stops and tilts to a straight up position. The base is made of steel and the clamp will fit on most picnic tables (tying in camp). It is powder coated, I tie a lot of flies and I'm still using the original.

post-13630-0-62886100-1323378865_thumb.jpg

vise.jpg

The base on my Regal came in a brass color and I decided to paint it to look just like the TU logo. Other than the custom base it's just a Regal vise.

Thanks...great pics, guys!

I have decided that if I can continue to scrape together spare cash beyond what I need to tie and fish, I want to collect vises....the design and architecture of them is beautiful...even the strange ones...especially the strange ones.

Please people, keep the photos coming....you are expanding my knowledge, and providing a wonderful photo reference of makes and models for me to use when looking for vises.

I have posted this picture before, but left to right: Price vise, Price Jr., Xuron and Polly Rosborough vise.

vises.jpg

Nice selection so far, this is my Swiss Master Vise

dsc0135og.jpg

Wow that is an awesome looking vise. It looks like it was change into a steam-punk peice of artwork :)

Wow that is an awesome looking vise. It looks like it was change into a steam-punk peice of artwork :)

Funny that you should say that....a steampunkish look is part of whay I love the JVise and the SAVA Glory.

P2030392.jpg

This is a Ron Abbey signature vise (Dyna King) that I modified with a tilting stem and bobbin rest. It's a wonderful vise, but is no longer being produced by DK.

I also tie on a HMH Spartan and a Law.

Here is my Dyna-King Sidewinder, a small travel vise, and the head of my H L Leonard vise. The Leonard vise was sold in the 1970s, and I somehow lost the stem. I have since built a new stem from a piece of 1/4 inch all thread and a couple of wing nuts.

post-12074-0-24354800-1323812573_thumb.jpg

This is a Ron Abbey signature vise (Dyna King) that I modified with a tilting stem and bobbin rest. It's a wonderful vise, but is no longer being produced by DK.

I also tie on a HMH Spartan and a Law.

That is one nice vise...I love the brass wheel on the end especially.

Here is my Dyna-King Sidewinder, a small travel vise, and the head of my H L Leonard vise. The Leonard vise was sold in the 1970s, and I somehow lost the stem. I have since built a new stem from a piece of 1/4 inch all thread and a couple of wing nuts.

Very cool...thanks for the history on those. Glad to see that I am not the only one using my bobbin-rest arm as a drying rack.