Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Some new style corks

UQNOD9.jpg

First grip with a couple of new style corks now in stock and using. Really digging the new "storm burl" which is the dark cork with some white swirls in it. Has a pretty cool look.

This is a 10' 3wt which will be done and available for purchase for $135 very soon.

I like those smokey burls best too. I also like the narrow dark rings, I could see those spaced with a narrow light ring on each side of a dark burl section ( I typically use a burnt burl a ring or two in from each end, the narrow rings would trim that well). But that's just me lol ! Be interesting to see a whole grip made of the storm Burl though.

Norm that one is called Smokey burl, that's probably my favorite style as well.

i googled "smokey burl" and found other "burl" types of corks that i never knew existed. what a variety out there

Yeah there's a ton of them out there. Sometimes you have to be careful though because some of them look good in pics but then when ya turn them they end up looking vastly different. Red burl is one of those. Looks red in pics, but once you glue it up and turn it, you end up with a pink grip. And having a 7" long pink object shaped like that on a rod is not something you want to be seen holding onto laugh.png laugh.png

And having a 7" long pink object shaped like that on a rod is not something you want to be seen holding onto laugh.png laugh.png

on a rod

i'm glad you clarified that! :)

steve

do you have enough "smokey burl" rings that could be shown loosely stacked together (not glued or sanded) as a visual reference?

hmmm

that would make a nice handle to go with a nice fast/medium brown rod blank, brown thread wraps, double foot black nickel guides, wooly mammoth reel seat...........

sorry i was dreaming :)

You could do a mammoth tusk or molar with a skeletonized real seat over the top like you do with the wood ones, the mammoth would probably be 100-200$ depending on quality and where you got it.

I'm digging the storm burl -- might have to build another rod soon so I can have you do me a grip with some of that in it!

I notice you're building a lot of 10' 3 wt. rods lately -- is there a special application for those? Czech nymphing or something?