Fly Tying
sandflyx

caddis larva

The first one is called a little orange caddis or a Needle Fly (Leuctra grandis)

The under water shots are the flies in a small collection bottle (empty cement and thinner bottles) I got about 250 from a guy where he worked...

QUOTE (sandflyx @ Feb 28 2005, 09:45 PM)
The first one is called a little orange caddis or a Needle Fly (Leuctra grandis)

sandflyx-

Nice pictures. Fun, isn't it. Your little orange caddis is definitely not Leuctra grandis, which is a stonefly. I suspect it may be Dolophilodes distinctus, which is in the family of fingernet caddis, but I could certainly be mistaken. You might want to look at the photos of Dolophilodes distinctus on Jason Neuswanger's www.troutnut.com website, and see if you agree with me.

yea I goofed when I was identifying them and labeled them wrong...This is the Needle fly........

post-31-1109676690.jpg

QUOTE (sandflyx @ Mar 1 2005, 06:35 AM)
and the caddis...(Chimararrha augustipennis)  found in Schwiebert"s book Nymphs

sandflyx-

Your download seems to be empty (0 bytes), so I'm unable to see it.

Nymphs is a great book, but its taxonomy is dated. For updated taxonomy, check out this page on my website: Updated Taxonomy for Nymphs by Schwiebert

same name as schwiebert, I'm hoping to have Ernie check it this spring if I get up to the club to see him..

QUOTE (sandflyx @ Mar 1 2005, 07:06 PM)
same name as schwiebert, I'm hoping to have Ernie check it this spring if I get up to the club to see him..

sandflyx-

Would love to talk Ernie some time, as he's one of my heroes.

Or perhaps investigate: CADDISFLIES a guide to Eastern Spiecies by Thomas Ames Jr.

Is there a video of how to tie this fly? The tying instructions are (for me) a bit confusing. But maybe that's because I'm 70.