Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Scouting for Trout Fishing Towns in the Southeast

I'll be taking a few road trips this summer to explore the South a bit and also to scout for future trout fishing destinations. I'm hoping to find some beautiful places I can wade fish for trout and enjoy the tranquility of fly fishing in a trout stream, hopefully (but not necessarily) from a town I can take my non-fishing family to and have them enjoy as well. I've already marked Townsend, Tennessee on my map. Any other towns in the Southeast that people might recommend?

Much thanks in advance.

Not sure what you call the southeast, but north Arkansas has had a couple world record trout out of the White River.

https://www.agfc.com/en/fishing/sportfish/trout/trout-tailwaters/

SWMo. has several trout destinations- https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/where-fish/trout-areas

Nearest me is Beaver tail water in Ar. and Roaring River State Park in Mo. a little farther away is Lake Taneycomo at Branson Mo. and Crane Creek at Crane, Mo. (notable for having the last pure strain McCloud River Ca. trout remaining- stocked in the 1880s and naturalized)

Much thanks tjm that's very helpful, and Vicente that would be great. I'm thinking the southeast quarter of the country, basically the old south / Bible belt area.

I understand there are trout streams around Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, but they are so crowded and touristy that I rarely go there. There is lots of stuff for kids and non fisher persons to do in those towns, however.

Joe

Although I haven't fished there, I would look into the Asheville NC area near

Mount Mitchell - tallest mountain east of the Mississippi river!

North Georgia also for trout. Sulfur, LA for redfish, Sea Trout. In the winter, Biloxi Marsh for bull redfish.

Trout are mostly Arkansas, TN, NC.

If you get to Memphis Tn, visit the Bass Pro shop there, before they moved to the Pyramid the old BP there had the biggest fly-tying shop I've ever seen and when I asked about it, the clerk told me they had the largest fly-tying club in the USA, they all travel to Mountain Home Ar to fish the White. I don't think there was any material they didn't have in stock.

I haven't been back there since they took over the Pyramid, but that building alone is worth a look and with the space there my guess is there was no down sizing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Pyramid