Fly Tying
Adam Saarinen

Cigarette BUTTS!!!

I smoke! A lot while fishing! And i was guilty of throwing my butts in the water, here there & everywhere! A couple of years ago while fishing a local fishery i noticed when back at my car. A lot of butts on the ground, mostly white & i thought maybe most of these are mine cos' i smoke menthol! Not a nice feeling!:-( I picked up all the butts in the small carpark, almost 1 litre & put them in the bin! When i went home i looked for a small plastic vitamin tablet jar with a threaded lid & the next day went to the hardware store to buy a couple of things! I drilled a small hole in the lid, took a small bolt that had a eye at the end like the eye on a hook, threaded a nut all the way to the eye, then a washer, then plastic lid, then another washer, then another nut! A small aluminium clip like rock climbers use keeps the eye on top of the lid hooked to my hip, belt for example! You unscrew the jar from the lid while wading, fishing or just walking to the car & put the butt in the jar, once put out ofcourse, also good place to put tippet rubbish, then put everything in the bin! I have used this little jar to put all my butts while fishing for 2 whole years now & feel good!:-) Few people have asked me what is in that jar? I say worms!:-)

There was an English fly that used the smoked filter for the body of the fly. The smoked filter gives that brown shade difficult to achieve from traditional dye. Cant think of its name now.

Might think about tying a fly with one. When I was in the "catch and keep" mode prior to taking up fly fishing, more than once when cleaning trout, including wild ones I found cigarette butts in their stomachs. So much for selectivity.

When I worked in surveys on the roads in MN we were walking a bridge one day and in the corner of the bridge was a pocket that must have swirled the winds just right because it was like a 2'x3' by 1' deep ashtray. More than a little disgusting. All those butts people flip out on the in town freeways gather somewhere and NO...they don't just disappear.

Why not just quit and maybe fly fish a few years longer and healthier. I did many, many years ago.

My hat's off to you. I'm a Leave No Trace Master Educator, and we stress the "life" of discarded items - butts among them.

People don't realize how long things last when tossed on the ground. A good solution.

I've read that all the toxins contained in discarded cigarette butts would add up to millions of TONS of HazMat dumped into your environment annually...

Jack Gartside died of lung cancer as did my mother at age 50. She started smoking as a teenager as I did. It's terrible painful way to die.

JUST QUIT THE FILTHY ADDICTION!!!

In April of this year it will be 23 years since my last one, and I love not forking over $12 buck a day for such a habit now. I could say that not smoking has more than paid my way into my tying addiction, not a bad trade off if I do say so.