Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Thibodeau

tip for tying station

Recycle those photo film containers. Get a one and a quarter spade drill dit and drill holes if you have a drillpress in a piece hardwood or teflon, and you have yourself a good hook holder or ribbing wire, lead wire, bead chains, etc... you could drill holes underneath and use quarter inch wood or aluminum dowls for the legs. with a little routering to smooth the edges people will think you bought it.

Great tip. And to add to it; after steaming your chennille, reverse roll and place in a film container that has a hole in the top.

Art

biggrin.gif Thanks man you just gave me an idea. Why stop there? put lead wire or ribbing wire or tinsel in them. drill small holes so they feed out . That way the wires don

't unravel and makes knots headbang.gif

bugeyes.gif Man you just blew my mind. Now you got me thinking about other ways to modify my tying station. Now I don't know If thats a good thing or bad! thanks for the input. I need to lie down now. tongue.gif laugh.gif

I've been using the film canisters for years as bobbin cleaners. Drill a hole in the cap, then stuff the canister with steel wool. All you have to do is push and pull the bobbin through the steel wool for a few times.

Even better for holding the tinsel is the plastic container that holds the gloves that my uses when she colors her hair. The reasons:

1. They separate in the middle so it's convenient.

2. There's the smallest little hole ALREADY in one end of the capsule to keep the gloves from drying out.

3. IT'S CLEAR!!!! You can see what's inside.

Check it out.

If anyone has the desire to check it out, the local photo processing shop may have 35mm empties, or the drop-envelope site at your local Giant Blue Emporium - ask a clerk if you can get some bcuz they'll only get thrown away.

Sign in to follow this