Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryon Anderson

New rod pics

Took my newly built CTS Quartz 8' 5 wt. to a little stream today and laid it on the brookies. They approved. 🙂

Thanks to Steeldrifter for the custom grip!

I'm really liking this rod so far. It's my first glass rod, and I have to say the money I spent on the CTS blank was worth it to me. This is by far the smoothest-casting, most accurate rod I've ever owned. What really impresses me is its range--today I threw small dries, chunky terrestrials with droppers, and the lead-eyed streamer you can see in one of the pics, and it did all of it with ease and precision.

Nothing like a new toy. 😊

post-36073-0-02422200-1563165183_thumb.jpg

post-36073-0-65472200-1563165218_thumb.jpg

I have no sense of the feel of the rod over the internet ( I can imagine though since I once owned a glass 5 wt I built) but I like the colors ! Enjoy it !

That does look great. Love the rear of the handle.

Seriously tempted to look at a third rod from Steve but struggling to con myself I need another.

That's a great looking rod. Not my "cup o' tea" since I'm not a 'glass fan. But it looks good.

That's a great looking rod. Not my "cup o' tea" since I'm not a 'glass fan. But it looks good.

Thanks Mike! I've actually never been a glass fan myself. Every glass rod I've ever tried before was like a weak handshake. I only tried this one because it came highly recommended by a friend who knows his rods. This is is different from any other glass rod I've ever cast. I'm really glad I tried it.

Yep that blank is a lot different than what you are probably thinking in a glass rod Mike. Most older glass rods are E glass. The E actually stands for electrical because it was actually designed as an electrical insulator back in the 1920's-30's. E glass fibers run in a cross hatch direction so you get a durable but quite soft action. The whippy feel of a lot of old glass rods in other words. The new glass blanks like the ones CTS are using are S glass. The difference there is all the fibers run longitudinal the length of the blank. So you get an action that is still softer than most graphite, but no where near the buggy whip feel of traditional glass rods. So basically is' more of a nice smooth cast that still has some good tip recovery to it.

I'll trust you guys on those evaluations. If I'm ever in close proximity to one, I'll ask to cast it. Until then, I'm too happy with mine.

Plus, as Steve pointed out ... mine are blue !!!

CTS has their Quatz Crystal glass blanks in blue. More of a turn off might be the price, not to mention it's kind of a powder puff blue lol !

The color I really wanted was a bright spring green called "Shoot", but the blank I wanted was on sale in the "Seaweed" color (I'm guessing the color was discontinued or something.) I'm very happy with how it turned out, though. :)

The color I really wanted was a bright spring green called "Shoot", but the blank I wanted was on sale in the "Seaweed" color (I'm guessing the color was discontinued or something.) I'm very happy with how it turned out, though. :)

This is why I'm getting a yellow tent instead of a green one, something like a 150$ price difference makes yellow look a whole lot nicer.