Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Reptiles!

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

Snake fungal disease is becoming pretty prevalent. It is a fungus that feeds on keratin. That's what snake scales are made of. Attached are some pics of a black racer I took in form the Department of Natural Resources which had a SFD infection. Sadly he was too deformed to eat and had to be euthanized.

Another big thing is habitat degradation by fire suppression or habitat fragmentation by roads, agriculture, and development. Not sure where you are, but here the indigo snakes need huge tracts of continuous longleaf pine habitat to persist.

Attached File  IMG_5199.JPG   160.54KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5195.JPG   117.68KB   0 downloads
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#17 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

Haven't seen a snake that looked like that ever. I'm in the Mo. Ozarks and  the decrease in all varieties of snakes is something that I noticed over the last 15-20 years, which coincides with the establishment of the armadillos here and also with an explosion in raptor population. Tarantulas have become rare over the same period. 

Mention of fire suppression, it is notable that wild fires have been rare since the early '80s and prior to that were an annual event in March.  

#18 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:59 PM

Here's some snappers working on more snappers. I took this almost five years ago on a nice summer day while fishing. That's my fly line in the pic. The only bad thing about it is that the entire section of that stream where I took that shot and caught a lot of trout is now posted. 

Regards,

Mark

Attached File  003a1a.jpg   207.19KB   0 downloads  

Attached File  004a1a.jpg   243.49KB   0 downloads

#19 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

Mark, awesome observation! Sad to hear it's been posted though. :(
<p>"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, but Today is a gift, thats why they call it the present." - Anonymous"

Snakes are first cowards, then bluffers, and last of all warriors." - Clifford Pope

"To him, all good things -trout as well as eternal salvation- come by grace, and grace comes by art, and art does not come easy." - Norman Maclean  "A River Runs Through It"

Tenkara is only for little fish!                                                                     </p>

#20 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

Pete's Last Resort, Newport, NC

Shameless Reptilian Embrace...

fullsizeoutput_2321_zpsfwkwnpue.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2323_zpsblwcsjho.jpeg

slightly handicapped moderately decorated military aviator veteran with issues...

#21 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

fullsizeoutput_1f26_zpswmdcvlye.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2491_zpswfckgw3i.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2504_zpsifdva5wk.jpeg

DSCN1111_zpsrgfr2qwx.jpg

gDbaSuBARpa7kHAVNAcJQ_zpsfdloojaq.jpg

slightly handicapped moderately decorated military aviator veteran with issues...

#22 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

Am I seeing it right that the lizzard in the second pic has a leg where it should not be?
Bimini15

#23 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:51 PM

Am I seeing it right that the lizzard in the second pic has a leg where it should not be?

I didn't notice any physical abnormalities...

but did commend them for their uninhibited public display of reptilian affection...

fullsizeoutput_6c7_zpsngkbutm6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1286_zpsx3cfw16k.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12b8_zps1pwc7cx9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2325_zpstzeyod8o.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_555_zpskoptauwa.jpeg

#24 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

Correction: second post, first lizard in second post.
Left front leg missing from its natural place, but grown close to left back leg. Or am I seeing things?
Bimini15

#25 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

Correction: second post, first lizard in second post.
Left front leg missing from its natural place, but grown close to left back leg. Or am I seeing things?

I suspect it's just an inconvenient pose...

ALL the reptiles here at Pete's Last Resort are covered by Medicare and, except for ME, have not been found to defective... wink.png

BTW... there is a bug hitching a free ride on that lazy lizard butt...

IMG_0327_zps2weyvj0b.jpg

#26 Bimini15

Bimini15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

Funny. Now I see the bug and so the rest of the illusion disappears...
Sometimes we see what we want to see...
Bimini15

#27 petegray

petegray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

Said the blind man to the deaf man...! smile.png

fullsizeoutput_11bb_zps6kgu0hf6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2b1_zpsr7pqzn3o.jpeg

#28 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

garter getting ready to shed and a rattler next to kayak (5 ft.)

Attached Files

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#29 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:57 AM

Gorgeous photos Peter! Could you PM me the location of that spotted turtle? Not on this thread please. Im working with the Orianne Society surveying for them here in Ga and Fl but we have been encouraged to submit any sighting within their range to them. The more specific the location the better.

#30 Fisherboy0301

Fisherboy0301

17 going on 40

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:59 AM

Sandfly, theyd awesome. Ive not yet had the pleasure to meet a rattler on the water. Thanks for not killing it too!

Sweet Garter pics! Ive only found one of those buggers.

I have some spotted turtle, mud turtle, snapper, and slider pics to upload.

A corn snake and a Hognose that came in my yard the other day, and some salamanders from NC and TN recently. Will be flossing younwith photos soon!