Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bassbuster

First carp on the fly

I have been scouting and trying to get my first carp on my fly rod. Well this afternoon I have succeeded, I was sight fishing a small inlet in the Thunderbay river that I have been watching the last few weeks and I spotted a few lurking in the shallows. I casted a few times and realised that they were very line shy. I waited and found one in reach then made my cast almost 20 feet in front as to not spook them. I watched him see it and turn and next thing ya know fish on.

It led me through most of my fly line and through more weeds and lilly pads than I thought possible I got him to shore. In the proccess of getting him to come in I snapped the line and it was still half in the water so I just reached down and scooped him up.

I caught it on a fly made simply of yellow marabou bulged up to look like corn cernals. I sadly lost it later in the day but I can make more LOL.

post-34091-0-66781700-1311730462_thumb.jpg

I have been wanting to get into carp fishing. I just can't seem to for some reason. I have seen them and threw at em, but nothing. Congrats!

Congrats on your first carp on the fly! Extremely addicting isn't it? B)

You'll always remember it too. I remember mine!

I can say that I will be back as soon as I am able to. Your definatley right, I'm pretty well hooked and can't wait for the next one.

I can say that I will be back as soon as I am able to. Your definatley right, I'm pretty well hooked and can't wait for the next one.

There are a few things in fly fishing that really get me excited. Like a bass blowing up a topwater, a brookie taking a dry fly, and right up there is that initial run from a carp the split second after you set the hook! It's like hooking into a runaway freight train on fly tackle. :D

There are a few things in fly fishing that really get me excited. Like a bass blowing up a topwater, a brookie taking a dry fly, and right up there is that initial run from a carp the split second after you set the hook! It's like hooking into a runaway freight train on fly tackle. :D

I do agree, I wasn't expecting it and I had a good size amount of line on the ground when I set the hook. I had to fight back the urge to just let go so I wouldn't give my fingers a friction burn. I can say this next time I know what to expect so I will be ready LOL.

awesome job on the Carp........carp fishing is a blast on a fly rod...........find them in the spring when they are on a spawn run and you will be in for a day you will never forget !!!!

Absolute first thing my first carp taught me: Don't even get near the reel handle when they're running. I had nice bruises on my knuckles for a week. :lol:

Absolute first thing my first carp taught me: Don't even get near the reel handle when they're running. I had nice bruises on my knuckles for a week. :lol:

I will learn that one from you LOL sounds like that may have been a slight oversight :D

Another thing, watch the line when they run LOL! You'll get a nice slice on your finger from the line when they take off hahaha. I still have a small scar from where he split me open. :lol: