Fly Tying
ray309

Fly fishing Naples Florida

I would appreciate any info on fly fishing from the beaches or shores in and around Naples Florida.

I will be there for the month of January. I am not really interested in charters, I prefer to wade.

I am not sure what fish are there and what flies to tie. Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray

I just sent a long email to one of my anglers in Europe about that very topic.... I'll re-post it here (but in January water temps will have most fish way back up inside towards freshwater (and many times all the way into areas where it's totally fresh). All of what's below is for spring through early fall during daylight, the night stuff might be applicable in January if it's mild...

"Here's what you need to know about it. On the west coast of Florida fly anglers have a few advantages. At dawn the sun is at your back giving very good visibility for snook that are ghosting along, sometimes within a very, very close distance to the sand... Flies are all fairly small with nothing much larger than a #1 and many times in the #4 size (occasionally even smaller, if needed) range. Patterns are all things that resemble very small bait in the "glass minnow" or bay anchovy size ranges (sparse stuff in white or tan, I'll have a pic or two at the end of this message). One of the most popular patterns is the simple Crystal Schminnow that was developed by a tier associated with the only fly shop on Sanibel Island. For leaders a 9 foot or a bit longer tapered leader with a tip ending in about three feet of 20lb fluorocarbon will suffice. As much as I always want a bite tippet of at least 30lb fluoro, most days I do without it since you're dealing with clear shallow waters and fish with very good eyesight....

Now for tactics... be on the water before the sun, that first 30 minutes of daylight is magic, some days the first two hours, as well. If you must fish at dusk the sun will be in your eyes and seeing fish will be very tough (but if you know where they are... working blind will work...). I like to walk very quietly along a beach looking for fish (they're hard to see on the sand, they seem to blend in as a very light gray shadow barely moving or stationary). Once I spot them I do as much as possible to keep a low profile and reach out to where they're holding on a 45 degree angle to the beach (at times I'll move 20 to 30 feet away from the water line if I think being close to the water is allowing them to see me...). Your retrieve should look like small bait darting a bit, pausing frequently to allow the fly to drop to the sand. If and when you get bit and hook up, don't even think about using the fly reel unless you are taken to it by a strong running fish. Snook are very quick, and reverse directions constantly - just hand strip them, it's the only way to keep your line tight. Be careful handling a snook. You can lip one with your thumb inside the mouth but the back edge of their gill covers conceals a razor sharp plate that will cut you to the bone if they shake their head and your hand is anywhere near that "cutter". For the best beaches near where you're staying get in touch with local fly shops any one of them from Sanibel south down to Marco Island will know where local anglers fish them.... A 7 to 9wt rod with a floating line is all you need for beach fishing. Experienced beach anglers will even go down to a 6wt when the wind isn't in the picture.

Now for two other possibilities over on that side of Florida. Every pass or anywhere there's an opening from a bay out to the open water is a magnet at dawn and dusk for all the hungry fish. What you're looking for is the nearest place with a rock jetty and good moving water at dawn or dusk, particularly a falling tide since lots of bait will be getting moved out. Look for visible action and try to match the size of the baitfish. You're going to want a 10wt rod, if possible since the flies will range from 4 to 6" and a good pair of shoes for working on top of rocks to get near the action. Fish in these situations are likely to be large and powerful, getting hooked up doesn't mean you'll be successful but it will be fun trying for the first hour or two of daylight... My favorite line for this sort of stuff it usually an intermediate since I can work it at a variety of depths.

The last possibility is night fishing. Over there any docklight will hold fish at night if there's a current. Many hotels on the water will have docks with lights. Walk softly on the dock if they'll allow you to access it and use the same small flies you'd use for beach fishing. Stay as far away from any docklight as possible, figure out which way the baitfish are coming from and work your fly the same direction. If you can get hooked up the fish will immediately sound down toward the nearest pilings so you will never have the luxury of handling them gently. Some docklights at night will load up with fish so you'll be in a sight fishing situation. Lots of fun if you can find the right docklight. The best ones are near ocean access and have pretty strong currents...

Now for a few flies...

the Crystal Schminnow, I do them with a wire weedguard but it's not really necessary over sand. I do them with beadchain eyes, plastic eyes for less weight, occasionally with lead eyes for strong currents, mostly from a #2 down to a #6 in white/pearl, tan/tan pearl, and other color variations.

Seaducers in every color, but keep them on the small side for the beach, this sample is on a #2 hook and is a bit long in the tail...

These Silhouettes are a bit large for beach fishing but work very well around jetties and dock lights when the fish are keying on pilchards ("whitebaits" in the four to six inch range). These samples are on a 2/0 Owner Aki hook, and about four inches overall....

This should point you in the right direction. Someday I have to expand a bit and turn this into an article..."

Like I said most of this is for warmer months, in winter most will hunt inshore way back towards sweetwater. In the Naples area that means along the Tamiami Trail (US 41). Any small bridge with a water flow (usually north to south) is worth a look, particularly back twoards Chokoloskee/Everglades City...

Tight Lines

post-30940-0-79868300-1312891523_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-46568300-1312891535_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-77951700-1312891568_thumb.jpg

This is the advise of yours that I used to fish the beach at Navarre (FL panhandle) and it worked for this newbie. I spent the 1st 2 days using a 5wt against your advise and I did get some action but never got a solid hookup. The 3rd and last morning I went to the 9wt with a floating line and hooked and landed 2 fish. (lady fish but they were fun) I am greatful for the advise. If I ever get down your way you have a client. Thanks