Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Is there a substitution for mole skin dubbing?

I am going to tie some soft hackle wet flies that use a small amount of mole skin as the thorax. I have some fine dubbing, but it's waterproof; is mole skin waterproof? Is there a recommended substitute for the mole skin used as dubbing?

Thanks... SD

Having some moles I would say I haven't found a synthetic sub yet. It has a blue/grey/silver/black hue that is hard to mimic and is fine and makes a tight noodle while still having a buggy look.

If I was tying wet flies I would look at a mix of grey/black CDC fibres choped fine.

Hi SD,

If you have a patch or more of muskrat, I would use just the underfur as a sub. You can use red or grey squirrel underfur too. The key is that you don't want any guard hairs at all, since mole is just one length and is made up of all fine hairs.

Regards,

Mark

SpokaneDude,

If you can hold off for a few I can send you a couple of small pcs

that will allow you to tie more than a few flies.

Mogup

X2 on the muskrat under fur. There are several other animals, mostly aquatic mammals, who's underfur is of similar texture and colour, the main variation is staple length. It is also worth remembering that on traditional North Country Spiders, mole itself is a substitution, for water rat (vole). I haven't found any synthetic substitute yet.

Just a thought though, are you putting enough waterproof dubbing on to make any difference? Also the waterproofing may help the dubbing grab a bubble of air, that can be most attractive to fish.

Cheers,

C.

As mentioned muskrat underfur will be your be your best bet. Being Spokane area you might have access to nutria as well. Mole's length and sheen has no natural comparable minus the original water rat that Crackaig mentioned. The mole is not waterproof. The water rat is water repellant and another reason why it is desireable. Both the muskrat and nutria will be as well but they won't have the short length and sheen. For a synthetic you can shave the fuzzy off a dun sheet of the fuzzy foam material. Pick up some mole in the future. It is inexpensive and a skin will last forever. When you get a mole skin, also get a cheap dubbing rake.

There's always a substitute. Oftentimes there are substitutes for substitutes. lol

I'd go with red squirrel underfur mixed with a bit of antron to achieve whatever color you're after, because red squirrel is what I have on hand that's close. Use whatever you've got on hand that's close and make it work. :) That's a part of the fun of tying flies.

You can always substitute for anything, but in this case, why? Mole skins are easy to come by and you can find one for under $5.

You can always substitute for anything, but in this case, why? Mole skins are easy to come by and you can find one for under $5.

Purchased a skin last week... $5.99, includes shipping from the East Coast...