Fly Tying
wilcara

CDC oiler puffs

I got a pack of CDC oiler puffs in a package of tying materials I ordered by mail order. I have used CDC quite a bit on various flies, but these "puffs" are quite different to what I am used to. What flies do you guys use these "puffs" for? I got a natural grey colour. Your thoughts will be appreciated. smile.gif

Hi Wilcara,

When the air is thick with midges and no-see-um's I put them in my nose and ears.

Just kidding. I would think they would work well for imerger's, or maybe a suspended black, gold ribbed, midge body hanging below a floating grey puff?

Graham

I trap them in a dubbing loop and wind a "thorax" under my parachute post on my Caddis Emerger that I tie. It traps lots of little air bubbles and catches fish!

I think they're great for emerger wings. I also will use them for under-wings on EHC.

Bamboo

Thanks guys. (Good one Graham!) I figured they would be exxcellent to suspend a midge or emerger under. Just never seen them before, and thought you fellars might have had something really special in mind.

Sawcat - you have a pic of one of those mate?