Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
drdoug57

My fly spins when cast

I've noticed lately, with some patterns that I tie with a spun hackle, that they are spinning when cast. How do I keep this from occuring?

Please help

W/o knowing your setup, casting style, and the flies in question there is a lot guess work.

My first thought is that the leader could be the problem. Air resistant flies can require a stiffer transition from the line to the butt section through the tippet to the fly. The softer leaders and longer, thinner, tippets just do not have the muscle needed to deliver feather dusters.

By "spun hackle" are you referring to parachute style?

Rocco

Along with the comments above I would guess too many false casts. Without watching I couldn't know but I envision something like the old spinning toy with a loop of string through a large button - casting and the resistance as the large fly moves through the air spins one way and then the other on the back cast

I've had a couple patterns that spin when I cast them, enough to create all kinds of twist in my leader. The patterns that twist the most for me have always been mayfly spinner patterns with antron or poly wings, but occasionally I've found others that spun badly too. The fix for me has always been to shorten the wings. This doesn't totally eliminate the twist, but it shure lessens it. Now I'm not sure what a "spun hackle" fly is, but maybe using less turns or a smaller sized hackle might help. Like Jay said, keep false casts to a minimum, but I seldom use more than one false cast or often none because I usually roll cast, and those flies still twist my leader.

I make 10 casts right handed, then 10 casts left handed. This straightens the leader out.

And with some flies it's just not possible to avoid completely. Like spiral said, it's wings to the side that usually start propeller and do the twisting. Shortening and making sure wings are as even as possible helps somewhat. Like said above, I'm not sure what you mean by "spun hackle" but if you're talking a standard fly like royal coachman or adams they usually don't spin that much if tied to right proportions. Since you're having the trouble, do this. If you're using poly leaders take a hunk of rubber from an inner tube or fly tying dense foam and periodically rest the fish and pull the leader thru the rubber a few times to work twists out. If you're using furled you can usually just pull in through thumb and finger a few times and let the the lead untwist below you. Come back with the type of flies you're having trouble. PIcs if possible.

I make 10 casts right handed, then 10 casts left handed. This straightens the leader out.

- casting and the resistance as the large fly moves through the air spins one way and then the other on the back cast

I know you both are joking... but I was going to say tie half your flies with hackle wound in the opposite direction- over time the twisting will average out and you will die with a straight leader.