Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
largemouthTLOCD

central florida surf advise

Let me start by saying I have no experience with any type of surf fishing. Most of my fishing is sight fishing the indian river and mosquito lagoon or bass fishing. I live pretty close to the beach (titusville area) and would like to start fly fishing it especially for bluefish. My main question is what is the best line to use for the surf. I will be using a 9wt and didnt know if anybody had any suggestions on the best line to use (full sinking, intermediate, etc). I was also wondering if anybody had some tips on how to fish the surf like what tides are best and if you should fish the trough paralleling the shore or just casting as far out as possible.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I am certainly no expert on the surf but there are some post on Florida Sportsmans Forum. Bill down at Harry Goodes in Melbourne is the guy you need to talk to.

An intermediate line will cover more surf situations with less hassles than anything else. Floaters are at the mercy of the wind and waves, and can cause all kinds of problems. I don't know anybody who uses a sink tip in the surf, for the simple reason that it isn't necessary. Just FYI - an intermediate line IS a full-sinking line. Its rate of descent is designed to be on the slow side.

If you can find troughs, holes, rocks, sand bars, etc., those are the spots to give a good working-over. If the beach is featureless, there's no place for bait and predators to congregate. The ocean is a big place, so you have to look for any edge you can find. Don't worry about distance too much - most gamefish will come right into the wash looking for a meal. If bluefish are your quarry, I highly recommend barbless circle hooks. You won't regret it; the less time your hands spend in the vicinity of a blue's mouth, the better the chance you'll die with all your fingers. Circles pop right out and their hook-up rate on blues is as good as it gets. Tides are important, but every spot is different, so it's a matter of spending time on the water and making mental notes. There's no such thing as a best overall tide. Generally speaking, you'll want moving water, regardless of the direction. Learning to read the water takes time, and there are no shortcuts.

If you don't use a stripping basket, the surf is one place you'll want one. Unless, of course, you enjoy dealing with constant tangles, stepping on your line, etc. You can make your own for a few dollars.

Looks like ill be going with intermediate. Are there any recommendations on which to go with. Will be used for surf mostly but also bull reds in the indian river.

There are lots of good lines out there, but it's tough to go wrong with a Royal Wulff triangle taper in the surf. BTW - don't know if this applies to the kind of fishing you do, but I've had pretty good luck using an intermediate line for reds in a foot or so of water. I was having trouble getting the fly down through the grass with a floater. The intermediate helps to pull the fly in the right direction. (meaning down)

There are lots of good lines out there, but it's tough to go wrong with a Royal Wulff triangle taper in the surf. BTW - don't know if this applies to the kind of fishing you do, but I've had pretty good luck using an intermediate line for reds in a foot or so of water. I was having trouble getting the fly down through the grass with a floater. The intermediate helps to pull the fly in the right direction. (meaning down)

PJ, not to derail things but did your reds show up this summer? I haven't done much catching lately. Got a stingray on a crab fly (not foul hooked either)! on my last trip but nothing to brag about. I am hoping to squeeze in one more visit to the shore before the end of August. Hope the local fishing picks up in the fall. Salinities been real low this summer closer to home.

TLOCD, the various intermediate lines marked as striper lines (my current one is a SA line) have worked well for me in the surf.

Thanks all for your replies.

Peterjay, I have heard a lot of good things about the royal wulff triangle taper lines. Is there any difference between the regular intermediate triangle taper and the monoclear.

Don't know, to tell you the truth; I've only used the regular intermediate, and it's performed very well in the surf. Casts like a dream.

John, I've been checking twice every day: the flats at high tide, and the channels at low. Haven't seen so much as a tail or a boil. Tons of bait of every description, but no predators at all. I've even been checking the town dock under the lights; again, plenty of bait and no gamefish. Discouraging, especially after the great fishing we had last year. I'm hearing the same from everybody, even the watermen. It's not that they're scarce, they're not here at all. Let me know when you're coming down again, and I'll keep you posted.

Similar scenario in central Brevard. Used to see one trout for every 8-10 reds and this year it's the opposite. But I wll say the size of trout has been increasing but dang are they smart. Come Sept. 1 I'll be hitting the surf for snook hard this year with my 9"6" 8wt and a 9wt int. line on it.

Hey PeterJay.....I have Wulff TT on my 9wt. It is a floating line and I think it is the version with the 30' head. I have yet to have it in the water but it is a cannon in back yard. I am looking forward to getting it in the salt. It is on a Colton rod BTW..

Thanks for all of yalls help. Went with wulff bermuda triangle taper intermediate and took it to the beach this mornin. the line casts great and caught a few fish.

caught a few blue fish all this size

post-34740-0-94077600-1408891657_thumb.jpg

Wasnt sure what this fish was. Looks like a jack of some sort but i have only ever caught jack crevalle

post-34740-0-74486000-1408891681_thumb.jpg

Largemouth, congrats on the surf success. These guys gave you some excellent advice.

It's not that they're scarce, they're not here at all.

Peter, this is not what I want to hear! dry.png

I can't make it down your way this year, but had planned to check out some places closer to home next month. I have another weeks vacation then, just like last year.

There's been some reports of Reds being caught up this way on both sides of the bay, but not like it was last year. Not many reports from fly flingers either!

I'm praying they move in soon, or I might have to settle for chasing bass or schoolie Stripers that week. Not that its a bad thing! rolleyes.gif