Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Line cleaner

I just bought a dishwasher spounge from a dollar store. I removed the extension handle and took a single edge razor blade and made a slit down the middle. I then took a spring loaded camping table cloth clamp, and glued a small foam paint roller with the middle removed to it. I made a slit down the foam roller. The foam roller can be clamped on to your rod with a clip board type clamp. and the dishwasher spounge clamped on your line. The dishwasher spounge is different than a regular spounge and is the same material as a line cleaning pad from sceintific anglers. When not in use I turn the spounge 45 degres so that it maintains its square shape. I plan on hooking all this to a line winder so that the line can be cleaned when wound off the reel. Then line dressing can be put on the line when it is rewound on the reel. When I can I will take a photo of it all and post it for you.

QUOTE (Joe Hard @ May 26 2005, 12:35 PM)
Then line dressing can be put on the line when it is rewound on the reel.

What would you use for cleaning detergent / soap / cleanser? My backup floating is a mess but I don't want to leave a residue.

I just use the cleaningt pad, or spounge, then add line dressing to a clean cloth. If your line is real dirty, soak your line in a small drop of dish soap diluted in a sink full of water. It shouldnt hurt it,rinse with clean water just comfortable to your hand, (not hot, nor cold, not even luke warm.) Then run your line through a clean cloth (old clean t-shirt). Keep an eye on the area where the line is running through the shirt, if there is alot of grime build up use a new area of the shirt. I like Sceintific Anglers products because they were designed to make things simple. There cleaning pads and line dressing can be used when the line is wet, unlike other products that have to be put on a dry line then dried. I keep them in my vest and use them streamside on occasion.

I am sory about the last post. You should never put any detergent on any type of fly line use mild soap. You can add a small drop to a clean cloth and clean your line with that.

Joe, which side of the 3M pad does the sponge duplicate?

The light grey side on the 3M pad is the working side. It's the micro-abrasives in it that bring a new surface to SA AST lines.

I can't picture the sponge you wrote of.

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this