Fly Tying
GlennNY

Hi from NY

Hi All,

My name is Glenn and I live in Manhattan. I've fished over 40 years but just got started fly fishing and tying for trout. I did do the Salmon River chuck and duck a few seasons years ago and tied the usual glo-bug, estaz, egg sucking leach at that time. Starting the end of last summer I'm spending a lot of time in Sullivan, Ulster and Delaware counties and am now interested in fly fishing those areas.

Welcome to your new home!

Welcome aboard Glenn.

Steve

Thanks Steve, nice to meet you.

Welcome to your new home!

Thanks zip, nice to meet you

welcome

Thanks tjm, nice to meet you.

Are you still active duty USN? I did a stint of the surface once, about 48 years ago.

Are you still active duty USN? I did a stint of the surface once, about 48 years ago.

No tjm, I served '82-'88

Welcome to the board, Glenn. Like tjm I did a stint in the surface Navy about 50 years ago. I was on a ASR, a submarine rescue ship out of New London, CT

Welcome to the site.

Thanks mikechell, nice to meet

Welcome to the board, Glenn. Like tjm I did a stint in the surface Navy about 50 years ago. I was on a ASR, a submarine rescue ship out of New London, CT

Hi Philly, nice to meet you. My boat the USS Billfish was stationed across the river in Groton Ct but spent time on the New London Ct side tied up to the USS Fulton at State pier.

I don't how long the USS Skylark ASR-20 stayed in service after I got out in 1969 but we were always tied up in front of the Fulton, and often worked with the fast attacks that tied up along side her.

I knew it was a converted fleet tug. It actually had a wooden hull under the metal plating. Discovered that when we went intothe yards on Staten Island, just before I got out. I'm sure I was on board for all of those pictures taken between 1967 and 1969. The one where she's docked at the end of the pier was probably taken just before they cancelled all leave and sent us out to look for the Scorpion. Here's a picture of me standing on the bridge wing during my last cruise before I got out. That's one of the Virgin Islands in the background. Probably either St. Thomas or St. John's. My tour on board was a combination of Mchale's Navy and the Caine Mutiny.

post-309-0-59485800-1524500931_thumb.jpg

Small world. As a reservist PO1 after my real Navy time; I spent several weekends and a two week thing on USS Fulton @'75-6? As a Fire Controlman submarine fire control systems were a part of my knowledge base.