Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9' 3wt shx build

Just finished this one up and about to ship out of the shop. Possibly the prettiest color combo together IMO. Classic twist red&black on a titanium color shx blank. I love this combo on a rod. Burl wood seat with a bit of mix cork and red accents in the grip and single turn metallic trim bands.
z5YBpy.jpg
iknHND.jpg
yj0B1N.jpg
7hE4F7.jpg
yT6MrJ.jpg
flDCVs.jpg

Yes beautiful !

Steve, do you use any color preserver or coat straight up or use colorfast thread or what ? Your thread colors always just pop.

Thanks guys.

Dave normally 90% of the time I use nylon thread and no color preserver. On this one though I did use CP. Mainly I only use CP on the classic twist threads, because if you don't use it on classic twist then a lot of time it darkens so that you lose the contrast between the colors. So I use it on these to help keep the color contrast so it stands out better.

Yep ... that's a pretty color combo.

I can't go so far as to agree that it's "Possibly the prettiest color combo ...", but it's close.

Thanks guys.

Dave normally 90% of the time I use nylon thread and no color preserver. On this one though I did use CP. Mainly I only use CP on the classic twist threads, because if you don't use it on classic twist then a lot of time it darkens so that you lose the contrast between the colors. So I use it on these to help keep the color contrast so it stands out better.

Thanks Steve. I get that darkening and lack of contrast if I don't use Colorfast or other pre treated thread. On normal nylon I can use two different shades of red for instance and it all looks maroon. Over in the rod building forum I asked maybe a year ago about using lacquer thinned way out as color preserver, if the epoxy would stick well after and got mixed answers, from I must be crazy to it will work fine LOL !. The lacquer doesn't blotch like color preserver can or less so at least and that is why I asked. I have since found out that some folks are using a water based polycryl on the wraps first as CP. But my same question goes unanswered , how will the epoxy finish stick to that, how well ?

That said, I think it's skin oil on the thread and not the preserver itself that causes the blotching.

I've actually always tried to avoid color preserver when I can for the most part. Not just because of blotching which does happen sometimes, but mainly just because I personally don't like the opaque look of wraps for most rods. The translucent look of nylon without CP just gives a deeper classy look to me. Never tried using anything like lacquer or any other products. I've tried a number of CP's over the years and one of the best ones I found was made by a guy named Mike and his CP was sold in a hex shaped glass jar. I can't remember for sure the name of it but I want to say it was called Color Guard or something of that nature.

Dave I found the link to that one CP I was talking about https://www.goldenwitch.com/product/michael-sinclairs-famous-color-guard/

It's quite a bit more pricey than most others out there but if you use CP much grab a bottle of that stuff and try it I think you'll like it. By far the best one I have ever used to date.

Dave I found the link to that one CP I was talking about https://www.goldenwitch.com/product/michael-sinclairs-famous-color-guard/

It's quite a bit more pricey than most others out there but if you use CP much grab a bottle of that stuff and try it I think you'll like it. By far the best one I have ever used to date.

I'll think on this, I haven't used preserver as yet actually but have considered it. The color fast threads lack punch IMO. Thanks again !