Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

I have a jig hook ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

I've never tied on these before and I promised a buddy in CO. I'd tied him up some carp flies.
Can I put some chain bead eyes here and the hook point ride up still? I know if I put them under the hook shank everything will be fine but I want to put them here on top in this bend.
T.I.A
IMG_9004_zpsoc2bxssn.jpg

#2 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:06 PM

Me and my pea brain say no. Which ever side you put the weight on is the side it will roll over on. You also have the weight of the hook from the bend to the point that causes the hook to roll point down. Adding more weight to that side is just adding to the point down.

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

i dont know if bead chain eye are heavy enough to turn a fly over but lead eyes would

Step1_slumdog.jpg

put them in the area you show in your photo

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult!

#4 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:34 PM

I agree with PD,but if you did it anyway you could wind up with a signature fly style with a cool action!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#5 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

Jig hooks are designed to ride hook point up.  You could add the bead chain eyes there depending on their weight they shouldn't impact how the hook rides.  Tying them on the bottom of the shank could increase the risk of the fly snagging on the bottom but the hook point would ride up at an angle.  I would use bead heads if you were just wanting to add weight to the fly to get it down.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#6 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

A fishing buddy had some jig-heads, white, I believe, and tied some white marabou and caught several fish with that heavy fly.  I didn't see the thing, but am going from his description.

#7 JSzymczyk

JSzymczyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Jig hooks are designed to ride hook point up.  You could add the bead chain eyes there depending on their weight they shouldn't impact how the hook rides.

Jig hooks ride point up when jigs are molded onto them.... or enough weight is below the center of gravity to offset the mass of the bend and point.

You've got to add weight below the axis of the shank for them to ride point-up. ?

the gales of November remembered...

#8 rich mc

rich mc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

perhaps one of the newer slotted tungston beads may work .   they were made for small jig hooks    rich

#9 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:16 PM

Just regular bead will work, I just tied a bunch up for the carp swap.

#10 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:43 AM

Thx don't want a bead I want the eye effect created by using chain

#11 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:06 AM

Here's a pic or two of Whitewater clousers done up on jig hooks....

Whitewateronjighook1_zpsae6a9844.jpg

Note that the pattern is being done here with two different types of eyes - and they'll behave a bit differently with beadchain than they will with lead eyes....

Here's the original pattern done up on a conventional Mustad 34007 2/0 hook for comparison purposes...

WhitewaterClouser.jpg

Using jig hooks can be very useful for different fly patterns - I've always simply tied on the "straight" portion of the jig hook... hope this gives you some ideas...

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#12 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:29 AM

I believe tying the eyes "inside" the bend where you want to will center the weight too much.  

It might sink point up, but it will spin when you pull it through the water.   I emphasize "might sink point up" because I am not sure it will even do that.

By design of the jig hook, keeping a tight line on a sinking jig hook will always help it to maintain a point up attitude.

But very often, when I am fishing a sinking fly, I want it to fall straight down on a completely slack line.  In that situation, I believe your design will tumble or completely invert and land point down.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#13 ben bell

ben bell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

that tumble action might be a trigger on some occasions when nothing else works.

#14 Mike West

Mike West

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

Thx guys
I'm going to play around with it a few ways
I'll report back with my results
Much appreciated

#15 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,565 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

that tumble action might be a trigger on some occasions when nothing else works.

True, but it can also twist your tippet/leader into a furled mess.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis