Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Celebrating 7 years today

An anniversary for me today. Today is exactly 7 years since the day I went cold turkey and became a non smoker. One of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

It always makes me happy to see you post about that Steve. Congratulations! Im trying to convince my parents to quit.

I hope they decide to do it as well Bronc. It certainly is one of the hardest things to do though that's for sure. In my life I have quit drinking and lost nearly 200lbs, yet I think quitting smoking in a way was even harder to do. Mainly because you don't readily see the negative effects of it like you do with alcohol or being overweight. By the time you see the negative effects of smoking it's normally too late then to do much. Keep on them to quit.

Congrats Steve!I'm trying to do the same thing.It is a tough habit indeed.

Congratulations! A tough thing to do, but one that will dramatically improve your health. I quit 25 years ago and I still remember the first day - a couple weeks after I quit - that I woke up and took a deep breath and didn't trigger that racking cough. Man that felt good. For you guys that are working on quitting, hang in there! It's so worth it.

Yep couldn't agree more Limitless. I remember when I was a smoker I use to cough like crazy when I would lay down at night. Many times I would actually wake myself up because of the coughing. Now I hardly ever cough and get very restful sleep every night. It really has made such a chance in so many other aspects of my life.

@FB, buy them a vape kit, see if they'll do that instead. Not a perfect solution, but it satisfies the nicotine addiction with an alternative oral fixation. Even if they smoke cigarettes publicly and vape privately...

@SD, congrats on your 7, and on your sobriety and weight loss.

As for me, cigarette free since 1994, sugar free since 2010, and more or less alcohol free since 2011. Never felt better.

Now if I could only get my roll cast down nicely and stop binge watching Netflix, I'd be home free...

Now if I could only get my roll cast down nicely and stop binge watching Netflix, I'd be home free...

I can relate chug. I don't have netflix but just about 2 weeks ago I realized I can play youtube on my TV. So for the past two weeks I have been watching non stop fly fishing videos. I bet I've watched over 100+ hrs of vid so far while working on rods in the shop in just the past 14 days lol. I can't believe I didn't know I could play youtube on my Tv's till now. I could have been doing it for the past 5 yrs ! blink.png

Two recent birthdays for me. 45 years without a drink and 44 years without a cigarette. When I went to alcohol and drug treatment for a month (often called spin-dry) they suggested not quitting smoking if you are a heavy smoker for at least a year until your sobriety is solid. One year to the date of my last drink I quit cold turkey and haven't missed either since then. WELL...when sitting around a campfire with a good group of people who are sipping a few the temptation to enjoy one can of suds pops up but I know one can is only the start of the six pack and then the case so I pass on that.

To those who have done similar, congratulations. Alcohol and nicotine are both addictions not easy to give up and those like me (and you?) who always said, "Oh, I can quit anytime" have proved it to ourselves many times before the final step is taken. The only thing easier than quitting is starting again. Hang in there brothers, One day at a time. It works.

Steeldrifter,

I hate you! Ive tired to quit so many times its silly. Been smoking since I was 13 and Im 59 now.

I know I will die from a cig. related disease.

Nicotine is the most addictive and powerful drug known to man. Worse than

All the big ones weve been taught in school and in the media...Herion,Meth,Cocaine etc.

But yet there is not one documented case since the beginning of mankind where marijuana has killed anyone.

And between alcohol & cigs 1000k die a year or something like that.

Isnt our Government wonderful looking out for our well-being and health.

Congrats to you sir you are a stronger man than me.