Fly Tying

Do any of you pack your waders in to where you plan to start fishing, rather than putting them on at the car and hiking/bushwhacking in them? I've been reading about the most frequent causes of leaks in breathable waders, and it turns out the two biggest culprits are the predictable brush and thorns, followed closely by simple friction from the inseams rubbing together while walking in the waders. It occurred to me that the life span of any given pair might be considerably extended by packing the waders in and out rather than hiking in them. It wouldn't even be that much of a pain to do--bring along some neoprene socks that would allow you to hike in your wading boots so you don't have to carry those heavy bastards, and just carry the waders rolled up in your vest or pack (or under your arm for that matter). That way, once you put the waders on when you get where you're going to start fishing, all you have left to carry is the neoprene socks, which weigh next to nothing and will slip into a pack or vest pocket, easy-peasy. When you get ready to hike back out to the car, reverse the process.

I just ordered new waders, and I'm going to try it. I was just curious what others do, and, if anyone does, if they've noticed that it makes a difference in the life span of your waders.

Cheers everyone -

Bryon

Yes I frequently pack my waders in to my fishing location and then put them on. The homes can be fairly long and step here and often hot, plus the blackberries would probably make for a rather untimely demise of my waiders if I didn't.

Just drape them over shoulders with the wading boot. I'm not bushwacking ten miles but I don't pay good money for waders to walk a few miles through the woods in. Carrying them is not that big of a deal. I will leave my sneakers on a log or rock for the trip back. If it's an easy walk down a clear path then I will just wear them if it's not to hot out.

I've never done it, but I've often thought about it. A small day pack would be all you'd need, even for the boots. Add a couple bottles of water and some snacks, and you're ready for a full day.

I rarely hike more than a mile, maybe two, before I start fishing, though, and in the heat of the summer, I'm likely to be wet wading anyway, so it's never been much of an issue.

Why the neoprene socks? Wouldn't any thick sock do?

probably -- I've just always used the neoprene socks when I wear the boots without the waders, so that's what I thought of.

I usually just tie my waiding boots together throw 'em over my shoulder and wear my normal hiking boots for the walk.

Vicente wrote yesterday at 10:18 PM: I usually just tie my wading boots together throw 'em over my shoulder and wear my normal hiking boots for the walk.

This would work for many as well -- however tying the wading boots together is not an option for me as mine have the BOA closure system; also I would prefer not to be hauling boots or shoes in a pack in addition to my vest or sling pack. My wading boots--provided I wear a thick enough sock with them--are quite comfortable to walk in, so I don't mind that part.

I like the idea of the neoprene sock, not only for thickness, but also to have dry feet on the walk back.

Yes I pack waders for longer walks (along with the fishdog) , additionally I use a bike for long trips up a few rivers I made 2 backpack painners for it to hold gear. Pretty standard practice on some of the salmon rivers.

post-19662-0-60419400-1488391336_thumb.jpgpost-19662-0-05786400-1488391381_thumb.jpg

there's an awesome new invention I just ran across, they're calling it a "backpack" ...

Handy things they are, too. :) If I was going to have to hike in any real distance, I would probably want to use one. Most of my walks are less than a mile over flat ground, so it would be a toss-up between the convenience of the pack and the inconvenience of having to wear it on top of all the other stuff while fishing, especially on hot days.

Unless the water is really cold or deep I wet wade. I try to get away with hip boots but will use full waders on dam-fed waters. I wear mine into the fishing unless I'm bush-whacking then I pack them in. If I'm backpack fishing I go wet 9 times out of 10.

I appreciate all the feedback on this topic. Several people suggested wet wading, which I have done before, and found it not really to my liking. In Michigan, we're supposed to carry our driver's licenses on us along with our fishing licenses while fishing. I keep both in my wallet, and wet wading means the wallet has to go someplace other than a pants pocket, which I consider a pain--half the time it leads to me not knowing where my wallet is at the end of the day. Also, our trout streams--the good ones, anyway--remain uncomfortably cool for wet wading (for me) through much of the summer. I also hate driving home in wet pants and (especially) underwear, and I figure if I'm going to have to bring along a set of dry clothes and strip down to my bare bum to change, it's just easier to use the waders. :)

I will be packing my waders into several of the places I fish this year as a result of seeing how many of you here do likewise--we'll see down the road if it makes a difference in how long they last.

when I wet wade I just wear board shorts and go commando, typically I'm dry by the time I make it back to the truck.