Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

Mummichog

At least that is what I was aiming for this morning. Trying to mimic a killifish, mudminnow, or mummichog whatever you like to call them. This one was tied with mono eyes so I am hoping it stays near the surface. Thought it might be a good pattern for tidal snakeheads which we seem to have plenty of in the lower Potomac and hopefully some saltier species too.

post-50086-0-35039600-1396123470_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-40181800-1396123505_thumb.jpg

I love killifish imitations, very productive. Those will do nicely.

Have you ever caught a snakehead? Seems like that would be fun.

Not yet. I've seen them while bass fishing. They have even been caught in the saltier parts of the River and there have been some real bruisers (17-18 pounds) caught. A big nighttime bow fishing scene has taken hold up here too. Guys flying around in shallow draft boats spotlighting snakeheads. You won't catch me out there after dark.

Looking good Skimmer. Mummies are often overlooked as baitfish, but just about everything will whack them if they get a chance. Around here, they gather at the edges of the flats at low tide, and the reds charge in every so often and grab a mouthful.

PJ, thanks. I seem to be good for a fly a week. Tough to fit in more than that lately. Have you seen any other mudminnow patterns? Flounder sure like them. I tested mine out in my basement tank and it looked decent. Sunk faster than i thought. I guess that wool head does that. By the way, I finally put the snow shovels away around lunchtime. Been snowing like hell for the last hour or so--size of quarters.

PJ, thanks. I seem to be good for a fly a week. Tough to fit in more than that lately. Have you seen any other mudminnow patterns? Flounder sure like them. I tested mine out in my basement tank and it looked decent. Sunk faster than i thought. I guess that wool head does that. By the way, I finally put the snow shovels away around lunchtime. Been snowing like hell for the last hour or so--size of quarters.

I hate to be an ass….Went to the drag races today in shirt sleeves, 75*- 80*, uber fun. Smell of race gas, burning rubber, oh oh oh oh ohhhh.

I hate to be an ass….Went to the drag races today in shirt sleeves, 75*- 80*, uber fun. Smell of race gas, burning rubber, oh oh oh oh ohhhh.

Good for you. I hate to always complain about the weather, its just driving me crazy looking at my boat sit there in the garage being used as a drying rack for snow pants and boots for four months. Supposed to be in the sixties this week. I would try and fit in a quick trip but now the rivers are the color of coffee with cream from all the precip. Maybe in another week or two things will settle down.

Skimmer, without looking it up, I have seen a few "mud minnow" patterns, but not many. Maybe it's time to whip up a few. I don't know if what we have here are actually mummies, or some other type of killies, but their behavior and habitat appear to be the same. They certainly attract the game fish. Like you said, I'm also thinking a killie pattern fished deep might work on flounder. I caught a few small ones last year, but I wasn't really targeting them. Weighted fly on the edge of the channel. They'll be coming onto the flats soon to catch some rays (sun not sting) and it might be fun to give 'em a shot. Haven't heard of any catches yet, but with the warmup, they should show in the next few days.

That is a great immatation, how does it swim? In our back bays the mummichog and striped killiefish are food for all.

Thanks guys. That pic looks a lot like the killifish we have in the mid-Atlantic. They are actually a very pretty little fish. Especially the male mummichogs. It actually dives a bit deeper than I expected. Probably the wool head because I didn't use weighted eyes. I am new to the wool thing but there were a bunch of wool mullet posts that gave me the ideas for this one. The olive back is a zonker strip so when it dives that lifts up and has the typical rabbit motion. But when stripping everything stays together as one unit. I am eager to try it out. Actually, I am eager to try anything out.