Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mudskimmer

cling wrap shrimp and some gurglers

Played around with some cling wrap this weekend. Thought it might be a unique idea until I googled it and found out there are lots of them out there. Oh well, hope the fish like it. If not, I can always douse it in pro cure or gulp! Also, tied up some gurglers, some with rattles some without. Still waiting for it to warm up in the Mid-Atlantic and for the trout and reds to arrive.

IMG_5746_zps9ab4e76e.jpg

IMG_5745_zps30d4807c.jpg

IMG_5724_zpsee10242b.jpg

IMG_5722_zps87e4284d.jpg

They'll all catch fish. I do like the looks of the cling film shrimp ... almost realistic.

Good looking stuff Skimmer. The cling wrap looks very realistic. Water in the estuaries here has been in the 60s - haven't seen anything on the flats, but the bulls have shown on the Bayside. Got all kinds of issues keeping me at home, but I might be able to hike out there for a closer look at the flats tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

PJ, I'm thinking about towing the skiff over to the eastern side of the bay for my next trip to try for some specks. Salinity and water temps usually run a bit higher over that way. Reports are trickling in from over there but no great numbers yet. Ofcourse, next to tarpon, I dont know of another saltwater species that will drive people to such great lengths to conceal info or outright lie about their whereabouts. If successful, I'll be sure to carry on that tradition.

Haven't heard about any specks on the Seaside yet - the VA season's closed until August, so it's likely that nobody's targeting them. You're right about the secretive nature of the trout fishermen hereabouts, but they usually have to tell somebody when they're getting them - it's the location that's the problem. I dreamed last night that I caught a big fluke, so maybe I'll go drag the bottom with some weighted flies tomorrow.(LOL)

I'm sure your right about not many folks targeting them in VA under the closure. The area I was thinking about is actually north of the state line in MD where surprisingly the trout season is business as usual. No closure. Usually MD is more stringent than VA but the winter kills were all in VA. I never catch that many anyway so it doesn't matter to me whether I can keep em or not. Good luck with that flounder!

Thanks Skimmer - I've got a spot where I caught a couple last year on the outgoing. I'm also gonna try the flats this afternoon if the weather holds. Haven't seen any signs of life with the binoculars, but you never know what might be lurking out there in the weeds. With my luck, it'll be my ex-wife or a saltwater crocodile.

My experience with bull sharks is limited, but being something of an authority on ex-wives, I'll take my chances with the sharks. At least with man-eating fish, it's over quickly. When it comes to excruciatingly slow torture, women are without equals.

"And here I thought bull sharks were the most dangerous man-eater on the eastern shore."

I think they're the only ones that go so far into fresh water. Every show I've seen on them says they are dangerous, but it's mostly due to them being more likely to be where people are. It's just a matter of ratios.