Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
timeflies

Any RI guys out there

I'm heading to westerly RI for a couple of days this August and was hoping to finally get a striper on the fly, anyone have any good spots near misquamicut beach (spelling?), any fly patterns that would work well are more then welcome too thanks in advance -Luke

I come from Westerly, but I wouldn't expect too much in August. The word from my friends up there is that the striper fishing is in the pits; it's been in serious decline for a number of years, and it hasn't gotten any better. You could try walking the flats and sight fishing in Quonochontaug Pond, or fish along the edge of the channel there. (Take West Beach Road off Rte. 1 to the public boat ramp and parking lot) You'll probably see other flyrodders there - just follow their lead. Another option is to park in the fisherman's lot on the west side of the Weekapaug Breachway (next to the Dunes Beach) and walk the beach back toward Misquamicut, again, sight fishing. You need bright light and a calm day (and polarized glasses) to have much chance of success, but there are often surprisingly large fish cruising right next to shore. They're tough to entice, but the usual patterns will work - crabs, Clousers, crystal buggers, deceivers, etc. Except for sight fishing, EARLY mornings and evenings will give you your best shot. If you like fishing with a bunch of inconsiderate yahoos, you can always fish from the jetty, but I wouldn't bother with it except at night. We're in the dog days now,when things really slow down, but there are always a few fish around here and there. Watch Hill is another option, but access there is very difficult in the summer - you might be able to get out onto Napatree Point in the evenings - if you can, fish the bayside outside the harbor. Are you staying in Misquamicut? If you are, you'll probably have a private right-of-way where you can walk onto the beach.