Fly Tying
DarrellP

Cheap alternatives

We all have things we have figured out that help with tying and organizing and save money. For instance, using a "mouse pad" with strip cut in it to make a fly box, similar to Cliff's silicone base. Please post your frugal McGiverisms.

I keep my tying hooks in small parts boxes that I get from the Dollar Tree for a buck each. They work well, the compartments are divided well enough that the hooks don't mix if you turn the box on it's side. 9 compartments each and 5 boxes stack nicely in my tying desk drawer.

https://www.dollartree.com/jot-plastic-9-compartment-organizer-case/237368

I'm sure these next two are not anything new to most of us -

1) Decent quills and tail feathers are available at the arts and crafts stores (Hobby Lobby, Michael's) for less than the local fly shop.

That being said I usually prefer to pay more and support the local fly shop - Fly tying and fishing advise, apparel, rods, reels, line, vises are NOT available at the arts and craft store.

2) $30 for replacement wading boot studs seemed steep. So I bought a 100 pack of sheet metal screws for $5. They're not as high crowned as actual studs but they work. They do wear down much faster, I have to replace them 2 or 3 times per year. The $25 I had left over went towards the purchase of a reel at my local fly shop.

Garage sales! I've found several Glass rods in really good shape for 10 bucks. one very nice one for $20. Several reels with about half still has good line. One time I bought a bag of hackle feathers for a quarter (an older American brand, but still worked well for what I needed).

I use the small grey cylindrical boxes with an attached snap lid (the kind that diabetic blood test strips come in) to carry small split shot.

Joe