Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicente

thoughts on this flure

I've made a couple and an curious if anyone else has tried something similar. The body is from a foam popper I flattened out a little, the bill is just plastic from a tackle box divider. They swim very well run 2ft down at the most great wiggle. I know my paint is ugly but I don't think the bass will care.

post-58401-0-66642500-1455819730_thumb.jpg

Is that dorsal fin attached somehow to the hook, or just stuck into a hole?

Stuffed in a hole, and glued in I could go all the way through and wrap the shank but it might weaken the body to much since there's a good bit of material removed already. If it pulls out eventually it would be easy to replace.

It should catch some fish. I'll put money on the lip ripping out on the first fish each one catches, though.

It might I have one I put in a little crooked and it makes it swim funny was working on pulling it out there other day it's pretty stuck in there. I cut a groove and the would just friction fit alone then fit it with support glue gel

I've done a few with mixed results. This is the style that worked the best in terms of diving and action and they caught me a few fish. They're made out of foam cylinders/popper bodies. The lips did not rip out, Mike.

post-309-0-45387700-1455829810_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-43785800-1455830079_thumb.jpg

Found they fished better off an intermediate or sinking line. Haven't used them in a while. Might take them with me to Canada this year and give them another shot.

Those look pretty good Philly like a commercially made lure, good job on the paint.

Flafly you could probably fish them with an ultralight but I'm sure I'll be able to cast then much further with my fly rod, they are really light and with the hair there's going to be a good amount of wind resistance

Picked up some more hooks and popper bodys today, I wouldn't mind sending a couple out, I can paint them or leave them white. The hooks on mine are a 3/0 so they are pretty big not to much for Bass though long shank with a small gap.

thank's justin I think they should work well, haven't been able to get a fish on them yet but haven't had much of an opportunity either the bass are still a little sluggish here and I haven't been able to fish any decent water.

those are pretty cool Dave I'll have to try making some lips like that out of something like a soda bottle and tie a regular streamer behind it, the ones I made swim almost like a jointed swim bait since there's the body wiggles and the tail flexes it's looks almost identical to the way a bullfrog pollywog swims.

There's a fellow tyer in the fly fishing club that has developed jointed fly lipps swim baits along with other patterns which have been swimming pool tested before being found as productive in the salt as could be expected. Still has fly patterns on facebook ( never joined ) & probably youtube &/or vimeo.