Fly Tying
SCFlyTyer

Foam Mouse Fly

A cold, but dry weekend here in South Carolina. Decided to play around with some of the Rainy's Foam Mouse bodies. I had some medium and large bodies laying around, so I decided to tie up a pair of them. I'm thinking that these would mostly be used as a topwater bass fly, so I made the large one with a segmented foam tail that should 'swing' a little on retrieve. The medium version has a stiff chenille tail. The eyes are map pins and the ears are cut from a plastic binder spine. I made a small slit in the foam body to insert the ears and used a drop of superglue to hold them in place. The bodies are covered in Sally Hansen's 'Hard as Nails' to provide a more matte finish. Hard as Nails yellows a little as it ages, which should give the mouse a brownish tint.

post-51034-0-89609200-1483851492_thumb.jpeg

post-51034-0-03795900-1483851632_thumb.jpeg

Comments and feedback welcomed!

Not a fan of premade bodies or stamped stuff. I think it will have a very short fishing life which negates the time saving of using premade bodies. Other then that it looks like a mouse.

The rubber strands work as legs, not whiskers. If you meant them to be whiskers, they are too big. If you meant them to be front legs, then you should probably put on some back legs, too.

All that said, I doubt the fish will care at all. Put one of those in front of a fish big enough to eat it, and you'll get hits. If the foam bodies are soft, you'll catch some fish.

If the bodies aren't soft enough, you might have a problem getting a hook set.

Good luck ... I hope you catch some big ones on them !!!

Thanks Gents. I'm not a huge fan of the premade bodies either, but I had these laying around and I'm trying to work through some old inventory. I got these out of a clearance bin somewhere, so I don't have much in them. The rest of the materials were also stuff laying around the house/office.

Good catch on the 'whiskers.' I intentionally made them long and thick hoping they'd move more water. They can always be trimmed at a later date.

The fun thing about these is that they're about a five minutes tie!! Just kind of a whim project.