Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Force Fins

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 12:21 PM

I have to replace the fins I use with my pontoon boat. Up til now, Ive used the step-in style Caddis fins ($29.99).

Anybody use the Force Fins? Are they really worth the extra money? dunno.gif

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#2 Irish

Irish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:25 PM

buy them if you can afford it. You will not believe the difference.

I have used them and am saving my coins to get my own.

Irish
[B][FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1]"Sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't" John Likakis

#3 Houdini

Houdini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

I don't know if they're worth the money. I am a diver and I use my fins for both diving and my inflatable. There was a lot of research on the efficiency of dive fins several years ago and the result was a series of fairly radical designs that had forked or split blades. The Force fins, of course, have a blade with a "V" pattern. I use US Divers "Blades" which turned out to be one of the better rated models. In my case they're dual purpose so the price was right. You might take a look at used dive equipment and see what you can get. Or for that matter, just buy a set of dive fins.

#4 Troutman

Troutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 01:20 AM

Another option are the creek company fins, at about $35 a pair they are a great deal and way better then the step in stiff fins. I've been using them for several years now and love them.

Jim

#5 FishHawk

FishHawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 10:43 AM

They are worth the extra money for float tubing. You'll wonder why you didn't buy then in the first place. Make sure that they fit the boot or shoe that you are going to ware. FishHawk thumbup.gif

#6 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone. Hopefully I can check them out at the shows this winter before buying.

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#7 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 12:54 PM

I'm with FishHawk on this topic. I love my Force Fins for float tubing. I bought a pair about 10 years ago, but they only fit over my neporene, couldn't wear a wading boot or glacier glove boot. I started to worry about sand and gravel damaging my waders to I bought a cheaper, much lighter pair of fins, thinking the reduced weight would help the mountain bike ride to the brook trout lake. I hated the new light fins, harder to walk forwards wearing while approaching water and had much less power pushing the float tube. About two years ago I finally broke down and bought another pair of Force fins, took my glacier glove boots into the store to make sure I'd get the correct fit and I really love these fins for tubing. Definately worth packing along the extra weight into the back country of the Sierra.

Graham

#8 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:01 PM

I expect disagreement with my take on Force Fins but, for me anyhow, they simply tear up my knee's. Sure they are efficent and have tons of power, but I like being able to walk after floating. On the up-stroke I think their efficiency is what hobbles me.
My use for fins is mainly lakes and ponds just to hold position against a breeze or to slowly work a shore. I also use them on SOME rivers I know to be of mild current and relatively snag-free.
Again, this is just MY take, your usage may, and probably will, vary!

#9 Joetella

Joetella

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:39 PM

I started tubin with your standard suba fins .. switched to force fins ... and LOVE them .. a lot less effort ! worth every penny.

Joe

#10 wayne SW/MO

wayne SW/MO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:27 PM

I have a pair that have never been used that I might part with.
Taney County, Missouri