Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Viewer discretion advised, Picture from the trapline

I caught this rabbit today. For AK this sucker is BIG.

post-64672-0-17026900-1572982082_thumb.png

Going hunting for caribou with my dad soon.

I've hunted Cottontails & used to raise some rabbits. The meats are better for us than most that we eat, and certainly tasty!

Some good fly tying materials in that pelt & feet too! smile.png

I've caught a few rabbits in traps that were set for other animals, but never spent any time trying to catch them intentionally. When I was trapping, snares were not legal to use & where live now they're not legal.

Enjoy it all while you can!

Some jurisdictions consider rabbits game animal not fur bearers so not sposed to target them.... Also conibear traps kill and sposed to be set typically in water or tree not on the ground. Cant tell if its snare or what. Be safe and be careful. Trapping is the best way to learn about critters in the wild.

Tier, thanks for the offer, but no, I have plenty of tying materials now. Appreciate the gesture!

Denduke, yep, where I was trapping, we could only place the body grip traps, up to a 220 size in or over water. Which meant swamps, marshes or bogs. Any larger trap had to be completely submerged. I had several of the 280 & 330 size that I used for beavers.

I used snares that i had made for one season, only for foxes, and then they changed the regs & made them illegal to even possess. I converted those I had to use them as slide wires for some of my foot hold traps that I used in water.

There was a Game Warden that I knew & saw him often. He even questioned me about those wires when he saw them. LOL!

Once I showed him what I was doing with them, he said I was OK with having them. I had removed all the snare locks & they couldn't be used as snares.

I spent a lot of time trapping and really enjoyed it & yes indeed learned a lot from it! smile.png

Thank you! I hope I'll catch more! It acually took me 3 years to catch that. This is my 4th trapping year. I figured out how to use a chin up stick and how to disguise my trap.

Where I live in SC, our weather is still warm, up in the 70's during the day. I've been shooting a few gray squirrel's the last few years after not hunting for many years, and as there's a lot of them around my yard. Seems that no one else hunts them around here. It's supposed to get colder starting tomorrow, so, today I decided to take advantage of the nice weather & see if I could shoot a few. I had seen 3 of them running around the yard, which is what got my interest going.

I saw several, but only ended up with 4. I don't like killing anything I can't retrieve, so am very careful about when I'll shoot. There's a couple of hundred acres of woods behind my house and I see them often. There's tree's on my property too and some of them have hollows in them so they nest right around my yard. I've seen as many as 10 in the yard at one time.

The 4 I did manage to get were all males, and 3 of them were most likely born earlier this year, as they are quite small.

That's been the extent of any hunting that I do now, and it's been a lot of years since I set any traps. The meats will be eaten. and the hides & tails will be used for fly tying. I try not to waste anything.

My one son lives with us and he took the dogs out for a walk while I was cleaning the squirrels. He said the dogs wanted to chase squirrels too, and he had seen about another six in our yard & in the neighbors yard. Like I said, there's plenty of them around here. smile.png

The guy I was shipping it to backed out. I need to let the feet dry for a couple of months (unless you want to risk them spoiling.) If you want to wait, PM me to remind me, and If you don't want to wait I'll find your address in the Christmas swap. Have a great day!

Signed,

James (TIER) Fox

Yea i'll wait for them too dry, not a problem I would dust them with some borax if I were, you I think I still have your address saved.