Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Lucian.Vasies

Quill Gordon

Here is my version:

Quill-Gordon-Troutline-tactical-dry-fly-

quill-gordon-hackle-view-blog.jpg

I prefer a light version for hackle. I noticed that some guys use very dark hackle . Checking the insects and their legs, they have light dun, almost ginger-yellow... At least, this version works for me :)

Lucian

I only wish I could get that segmented effect from cleaned herl quill you have. I just don't get good enough quills from most shops to find that quality. That is a beautiful tie and you are right, most of us tie with a darker hackle. Never get fish one but love to tie them just because if it does come out right it so beautiful in the vise.

Beautiful work. You went with the later-in-life-cycle Quill Gordon Spinner coloration. ;-)

The fly itself is a specific mayfly: Epeorus pleuralis (Quill Gordon) Mayfly Dun. That nice medium dun color.

picture_1795_large.jpg

quill_gordon.jpg

I only wish I could get that segmented effect from cleaned herl quill you have. I just don't get good enough quills from most shops to find that quality. That is a beautiful tie and you are right, most of us tie with a darker hackle. Never get fish one but love to tie them just because if it does come out right it so beautiful in the vise.

Hi Vicrider,

Agree, difficult to find good quality quill. Just try to find the biggest peacock eyes. Old birds give us big feathers with wider barbs. The fly is tied on size #12, the shank of that hook is longer than standard and I had plenty of quill . I can tie even on size 10 without a problem

TL

Lucian

Besides the quill what is from the original dressing of Theodore Gordon's fly ?

Besides the quill what is from the original dressing of Theodore Gordon's fly ?

Body: A strip of bi-colored peacock quill, ribbed with fine gold wire

Tail: Three or four fibers from a wood-duck flank

Hackle: Smoke grey

Wing: Lemon wood-duck flank tied in one clump, not split

Hook: 12-14

Regards,

Mark

Thanks mvendon but my question was for the OP and his pattern pictured.

Thanks Mvendon, I will save the document :) very interesting. Because I started filling my boxes and I found some hackles ( usually I tie dry flies with CDC mostly ) I tied a few Gordon Quill variations with hackle in front.

Here it is:

blog-quill-gordon-and-partridge.jpg

blog-quill-gordon-and-partridgefront-vie

One question, why is the reason to tie catskill flies without head or almost nothing) Lot of space left free right behind the hook eye?

Lucian