Fly Tying
fishingbobnelson

Where have all the swappers gone?

We used to have at least one new swap a week and swaps filled in a day or two. There are members that I swapped with many times who just don't post anymore. Is there another site with swaps? Does anyone know what happened? I really miss the challenge of new patterns and materials, or just tying a dozen of my favorite flies. I keep seeing new members, are they not interested in swapping, or is something else holding them back?

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, life got in the way. Been too busy to even try to tie anything lately. I would like to get into a new swap myself.

i'm here and waiting for a swap to start up.

i'm not keen on being a swapmeister

Right now I'm just a bit on the busy side to host, I feel like we've still been doing reasonably well with swaps maybe not as good as before I became a member as I'm still new here compared to some of you, it's also getting into fishing season right now.

I'm here and Always looking for an interesting swap !! To be honest it is a little intimidating for a newby to get into a swap after they see all the great pictures on the forum .. I was very intimidated when I first got on here I lurked in the shadows for a couple months before I ask to get into one .

Steve-stabgnid

I think with nicer weather rolling around people would rather be out fishing flies than tying them.

Actually, the present swaps and benefits are winding down and I have a friend on another board trying to get back into this one but hasn't been able to. As soon as he gets in I was going to fire up a swap of some kind. They tend to go in bunches, then everyone waits until they're caught up and bunches again. Right now I'd hope most people are using their time to fish those swap flies and plan vacations and things like that. Swaps always fill and get more response from late fall through spring than in summer from my observations.

Nick

Sent some flies in a small box for a swap. The meister was unhappy with that.

Said he had to tear the box apart to get it open.

Since I have many more flies than I will ever use, I am not swapping much.

Rick

I really enjoyed swaps, unfortunately international postage costs have made it too much of an economical issue now. And some sets go missing and it leaves a bad taste. But swaps are great and I feel it introduced me to new styles and improved my tying a lot. I would encourage anyone waiting to take that step to jump right in.

It's not just board. Over the years I've noticed swap activity drops during the summer. As already noted folks are out fishing, on vacation, working on their gardens, around the house, etc. I like to tie but all I do now is just replace flies I've lost while fishing.

We used to have at least one new swap a week and swaps filled in a day or two. There are members that I swapped with many times who just don't post anymore. Is there another site with swaps? Does anyone know what happened? I really miss the challenge of new patterns and materials, or just tying a dozen of my favorite flies. I keep seeing new members, are they not interested in swapping, or is something else holding them back?

What kind of swap would you like to get into? Mine is winding down.

Kevin

What kind of swap would you like to get into? Mine is winding down.

Kevin

Personally I like trout patterns as that is what I fish for this time of year, but I would consider just about anything.

When I lived in Indiana I participated in more swaps. Postage cost no more than a couple of bucks. Now I live in Quebec (Canada) and the cost of postage is more than the value of the flies. (And I do value the flies!) I still enjoy the swaps, but I commit to one only when I can't resist.