Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
texag17

Sink tip add-on to fly line

Has anyone ever used this? I have a floating line with a built in sink tip but was curious at the add on piece that you can add to a floating line. I am tired of swapping my floating line with my sink tip line and this may be a good solution. Is this equivalent to having 2 reels or is 2 reels better than a sink tip add on type?

I guess you mean polyleaders or similar? So long as you match the length of the tip to the fly line it works ok. Most trout weight lines wont like tips longer than 5ft so that can limit you.

Polyleader or Versileaders work, in a pinch, and you can make your own if you can find bulk T8 or have some LC13 lying around (or and old lead core trolling line). An integrated sink tip is easier to work with in my opinion, so I prefer the extra spool or reel method. If I'm really worried about length of time changing tackle, I'll carry and extra rod.

I use versa leaders my 4 wt rod is loaded with 5 wt line so with a 7 ft versa least it can be a bit much but still casts ok, works great on my 7 or 8 wts.

Years ago I used lead core trolling line to make sinkers of various lengths, with varied results- I loop connected and it worked like a hinge.

Cortland LC-13 Lead Core has a tough, smooth vinyl coating over a lead core braid, which allows anglers to build their own shooting heads, sink-tips, or sinking leaders. At 13 grains per foot, simply cut the LC-13 to the desired length.

comes in 30' loops or 100' & 500' spools and should work better than the trolling braid did, but it's been hanging on the wall for a few years now. I favor the one reel with extra spools flytire mentioned.

Depends on the length and weight of the sink tip, and the line weight you're adding it to. The heavier the floating line, the better it will handle the add-on sink tip. I don't use them on anything lighter than a 6 wt. line, and I keep toward the slower-sinking (2-3"/sec.) tips. A floating line with an add-on sink tip is never going to cast as smoothly as a true sink-tip line because of the abrupt transition from floating to sinking with the add-on setup.

I personally don't find that it takes any longer to switch to a different reel spool containing a sink-tip than it does to change from a floating to a sinking leader. The reason I tend to use the add-on tips is that they're a lot cheaper than a sink-tip line and a new spool, and they take up far less space in my pack.

I do own a "real" sink-tip, and I will use that if I'm going to be fishing from a boat and chucking streamers all day. When I fish from my kayak for bass, I will often carry a 6 wt. with a floating line and a 7 wt. with the sink-tip. For wading with only one rod, the add-on tips are the way to go (for me at least).

Hope this helps.

I prefer to make my own variation by "converting" my floating fly line into a "sink tip" fly line by adding a section of Cortland LC13 coated lead core material with braided nylon loop connectors.

Cut the LC-13 to multiple length sections of 12", 18", 24", and 36" sections and attach the braided mono loops on each end. Loop to loop connect the lead core to the floating fly line and then a short 2-3 feet of straight mono to the streamer.

LC 13 has a weight of 13 grains per foot, which gives it a sink rate of 8¾ inches per second. A type 6 sinking line has a nominal ski rate of 6-7"/sec so the LC-13 is a dense fast sinker. LC-13 would be categorize as a type 8 sinking line.

Cortland LC-13 Lead Core (30 feet) : FishUSA.com

47697012801_b98313f9cd.jpg

I form my own loop to loop connectors out of Cortland Braided mono running line which comes in 30 and 50 lb test.

Feather-Craft Fly Fishing | Fly Fishing Rods, Reels, Waders, Flies, Fly Tying Materials | Sage Rods | Simms Waders | Since 1955

cortland-50lb-clr-braid-mono.jpg

Make your own braided loop connectors using the method below.

Getting Looped | Dan Blanton » Fly Fishing Resources

If you don't want to make your own braided loop mono connectors, you can buy a complete kit from Cortland. It is probably your best bet unless you need to make braided mono connectors for a fly line to leader connection. Ditch the shrink tube from the kit and whip finish and coat the ends of the braided loop to LC-13.

Cortland Slip-On Leader Loops : FishUSA.com

500-0.jpg