Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hardyrod1974

Source of foam for fly box

I'm looking to purchase some foam in order to customize a Plano compartmented box for bass flies and large streamers.

I need some material that is in the 1/4" to 3/8" range so I can cut it into strips.

I would like it to be the self healing type or maybe the silicone material that has been showing up lately in the newer fly boxes.

I'd prefer not to have to layer a thinner material in order to get the thickness I want.

Anybody know of some sources???

Thank you in advance.

Richard

How much work are you willing to put into it?

Dollar Tree usually has toys that are made from high density foam. When i get home, I'll post pictures of some boxes I made using some foam circles.

1/2" thick and 10 inches across, i was able to cut them down to exactly the dimensions I needed.

I have bought foam at Hobby Lobby with hole to fit over a door knob. Is about 1/4 inch thick. For you metric folks, 6.4mm.

Dollar store. In kids section they sell foam door knob hangers. The foam is at least a 1/4" thick.

Mike,

That looks like what I need. I'll check out our local store in a day or two.

For the others that offered suggestions, Thank you very much!

Richard

I have a big roll of foam gasket material with adhesive on the back left over from a job I did.

(its sorta like weather stripping)

1.5"w 20'L 1/4" thick

life time supply, check hardware store's.

Flytire; Did you use regular pinking shears to cut the foam or a special type of shears. Last time I tried to cut foam like yours I made a big mess of the whole thing and ended up tossing everything to the round file. Maybe I should try again.