Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

ALL SWAPPERS READ THIS

It's been brought to my attention this summer that there have been a few members that are missing swap deadlines, and also not including return postage with their flies. When you do not include return postage for the SM then the SM has to pay out of his pocket to send your flies back. May not seem like much to you but if a few people do this in each swap then it adds up and is simply not something the SM should have to do just because you "forgot" to send return postage.

Hence forward any SM who has a swapper that does not include return postage will be well within his right to keep the set of flies of the swapper that did not include return postage for himself, either until the swapper sends the SM proper return postage, or if too long is taken then the swapper will be considered as a forfeit on his set of flies plus will then be listed on the list of banned swappers.

It's a shame I need to make a post like this here after all these years, but I have been getting way too many SM's contacting me about swappers shafting them on return postage as well as being late with swaps and I am not going to let this continue on any longer.

Steve

I will add that as someone who has hosted many swaps, your value to us as Swapmeister increase greatly when you do things correctly. I have covered postage several times and wrote it off, I have had to do toe tags for two people who forgot (if only one would forget I could say untagged is xxxxx), I have had to improvise on shipping when containers were not sent or money sent but no return packaging meaning I had to buy package and have it weighed and stamped. Sure, money was in there but unless someone had a problem or is overseas there is not reason for that, and if there is a reason let SM know about it. Health and family problems are two reasons SM are very forgiving of and offer our thoughts to you, but let us know ASAP that you will either need a replacement or will have to run late but will fill the order. The sooner we know the easier it is to get a replacement with time before the deadline as in a recent swap where everything was covered quickly and well.

So let's do our best in what has been some wonderful swaps over the years and keep them running smoothly and not have to bother Steve with things he is allowing us to enjoy on the board.

Swapmeister Duties

1. Announce your intentions for the fly swap. Provide instructions on what type of flies to tie and a total on the number of tiers for the swap. I try to stick with a quantity of 12 tyers including myself. That seems to be a number that everyone is comfortable with. When you post your swap, also provide a signup deadline and a deadline for the flies to be in. Stick to the swap deadline! Don’t wait for PROCRASTINATORS! They spoil the swap for everybody!
2. Provide instructions for mailing in flies. I will post my mailing address in a private message (PM) after all swappers have signed up.
3. When the swap is full post on the forum that it is full so other tiers won't be wasting there time trying to join the swap.

4. When you receive flies from the tiers, let them know on the bulletin board/forum or send a PM to each swapper that you have received their swap flies.

5. Once you receive all flies from all tiers, its time to sort them, get them all packaged up and deliver them to the post office in a timely manner. Notify all tiers either on the bulletin board/forum or by PM that you have mailed out the flies to them.
6. This is an option – if the swapmeister has the time and resources, it is a nice gesture to photograph the swap flies individually and post them to the bulletin board/forum for anybody to view them.
7. It is important that swapmeisters and tyers communicate with each other thru a private message (PM) or in a bulletin board/forum posting. Swapmeisters it is a good idea to check your post at least once a day, to see if you have any more swappers that have signed up, or in case any of your swappers have questions.
8. Stick to the number of swappers you post in your original posting. If a swapper snoozes, he loses getting in.
9. Announce to the swappers that you accept PayPal as a method of paying the swappers return postage.

Fly Swapper Duties

1. Understand what you are getting yourself into. When you join a swap, please read the guidelines the swapmeister has provided and adhere to those guidelines! If you feel that you cannot tie the type of fly the swapmeister has posted or if you find the quantity of flies to be tied too many don’t join the swap. If you cant tie 12 flies in a months time, dont join!
2. Post what fly pattern you will be tying.
3. Tie your swap flies and let the swapmeister know you have finished.
4. Include with your flies a toe tag (small piece of paper) with the name of the fly, your name and/or bulletin board/forum user name and your email address so the other tiers can email you for the fly tying instructions. (Please see the end of this article regarding toe tags.)
5. When mailing your flies, please send them in a strong enough and big enough box that will protect them and will hold all of the flies you will be receiving back. Obviously the size of the flies is going to dictate what size of container to mail them in. Mark the box with your name and address and your user name. It would be a nice gesture if you can mail your swap flies at least 10 days before the end of the swap so they will get to the swapmeister by the deadline date or earlier. (Please see the end of this article for more on containers/boxes.)
6. Tyers must include a self addressed stamped envelope that is strong enough and big enough for the fly box/container you send in and will receive back. Include postage on your return envelope in the form of stamps. Here is what I do: insert you fly box/container in the return envelope (do not seal it at this time) and ask the postmaster for postage from the swapmeisters zip code. Affix the correct amount of stamps to the return envelope. Now you can insert that envelope into the larger mailing envelope and get the postmaster to get you the final postage. It usually costs about $2.65 to mail back my return envelooe. I affix enough 49 cent stampst to my return envelope. Do the math and affix that many stamps to your return envelope. Remember: the bigger and heavier the envelope, the more postage you have to pay.
7. When you receive the swap flies back in the mail notify the Swapmeister on the BB or by PM that you have received them.
8. Don't procrastinate! It doesn't look good for you and can make the other swappers a little mad when they have done their best in tying their swap flies and getting them mailed in time.
9. If you are planning a vacation or any other family event that will not allow you to tie swap flies before the deadline, DONT JOIN THE SWAP! There will be others to join.
10. Life events happen. Please notify the swapmeister that you will not be able to participate so that the swapmeister can put out a posting of an opening in the swap. It should be acceptable to all members of the swap that life events happen and noone should ever be singled out when it does.
examples
envelopes, swap box and toe tag
zSHrpOw.jpg
USA customs form for international swaps
buQJ9fs.jpg
other swap boxes
fj66n1E.jpg
hmXUfBv.jpg
toe tags. cut them out individually and stab the hook through them
ImnGA7l.jpg

13-OUNCE-RULEa-300x233.jpg

(FROM USPS)

What exactly is the USPS 13-Ounce mail rule?

Glad you asked. The 13-Ounce Mail Rule requires that any mail piece weighing over 13 ounces that is mailed

with postage stamps has to be presented in person to a USPS employee at the Post Office.

Thought I'd add this little bit in the event of say a fly swap involving LARGE flies and

for someone planning on mailing from their home.

I just learned about the 13 oz./stamps rule the other day.

12, 13 muskie flies & a package inside another package may hit that 13 ounce mark.

Agree with all. Is difficult at times when being overseas... but i choose swaps I'm interested in and try very hard to allow 2 weeks minimum for delivery.

PayPal is easiest for me wrt payment because i don't have access to cash usd.

Biggest problem i find is getting swappers interested or willing to pay the extra postage.... it's much easier for me to join swaps for that reason.

I am guilty of above ;I don't know about others - not my concern,have dropped the ball ,a few times,so I won't be in more till a few things get lined up

Hey Steve or Mike,

Would it be possible to have this thread pinned to the top please?

I like it as a reminder of the responsibilities we all have when participating in swaps.

Thank you.

Everything stated in this thread is already laid out in the rules threads already pinned.

But Steve might pin this one, too. I don't have that ability.