Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

X-ACTO KNIFE

A member's q&a regarding use of foam prompts the following:

Of the many things we keep on our VERY WELL ORGANIZED AND NICELY MAINTAINED! rolleyes.gif tying tables, I bet very few keep X-ACTO knives-

These babies are the key to filleting, feathering and otherwise manipulating many materials, in the above mentioned case, foam sheeting. These knife blades can be used to undercut, taper, angle cut and perform precise removal of materials at critical points of preparation/construction.

AND- for anybody who NEVER gave this a thought- the collet and handle make a great streamside Pin Vise for quickly chucking up a tiny size 20 hook to whip together that ongoing hatch imitation you can't find in your box while hungry trout are gorging themselves on it in front of you! (kinda like the American Express card - maybe you shouldn't leave home without one!) wink.gif

Haven't used an exacto knife, but do use razor blades at the vise.

That was the main reason I put a larger cutting board under the vise (to taper mono/jelly rope, cutting materials, rounding match-sticks for applying paint to eyes, etc....

As for the stream-side impromptu vise, never thought of that. Good idea for the fresh water bubbas.

Here's something I saw for the tube fly tying folks out there. The ice-cream push pops by Nestle use a plastic tube that easily detaches from the round base of the ice-cream cylinder. Seems to be about right for cutting up in to a few tubes for flies.

"Kids, eat more of them push-pops...I got a fishing trip coming up!"

Scalpels are great; not everone owns one.

An XACTO blade can be kept sharp enuff by honing over a fine Arkansas white stone, a ceramic toolmaker's die polishing stone, one of the fine grit diamond sharpening hones, Crocus Cloth of appropriate grit or what-have-you to sharpen on.

I have an exacto knife, but rarely use it. Just for the occasional body alteration or trimming foam. Sits most of the time though.

But here's a tip for those who make bass bugs/deer body flies. Go to walmart or the likes, and buy old fashioned Gilette razor blade refills. The type that have a sharp end on two sides. Use those to do the majority of your sculpting on the body. Can do any fine touch with fine tipped scissors. Just takes practice, but you literally shave the hair off. Works great compared to trying to cut the body off the getgo.

Sign in to follow this